Gen II exhaust on Gen I

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before (I did do a lengthy search and failed to come up with anythng)
But what modifications do you have to do to get the stock GenII exhaust manifolds to fit a Gen 1. I see a set in the classifieds and in these finanical times somehting that can be modfified with a bit of cutting and welding is appealing.

Nick

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the drivers side, the connecting bars need to be removed. I believe the passenger side will bolt up without any modification.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keeping the side exhaust (I have a Roe one)..want to get rid of the stock manifolds. I believe it is a weight saving and a HP increase from stock with the Gen II manifolds.

Nick

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to cut out the connecting bars on both sides since they interfere with the Gen 1 head bolts. You must get the flex pipe and initial header pipe from the Gen 2 also, or else have to fabricate something to connect to your Roe system. Save the v-ring clamps. You must also use the Gen 2 header bolts since they are shorter. The stainless steel Gen 2 header has a thinner gasket mating surface. The Gen 1 bolts are too long. You can reuse the Gen 1 heat shields. The shields are simply foil with fibreboard inside and are easily reshaped.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Tom said above, here is a picture:
Cut braces out - both sides.

428Exhaust_MANIFOLD_98.jpg

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done a few of these here in the UK now......
Will be doing RT/10 Dave's in the new year sometime.
You will find that when you have cut the links out some of the bolt holes will need a bit of persuading to line up..

As stated above you will need the flexi pipe and Cats (unless already cut off)

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read that the Gen 1 manifolds actually flow better than the Gen 2, no???