Gen II GTS Brakes

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think is the absolute best brake kit for a GTS that is driven exclusively at the road course? I run slicks, motons, quaife, and 580 rwhp. Price is irrelevant- $5K, $10K, whatever...

Thanks-

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Brake Dave's kit.

SRT calipers in front.
GTS Fronts moved to rear.

Stainless steel lines, brake bias adjusting valve and slotted/dimpled rotors. :headbang:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A Brembo or StopTech 6 piston setup is readily available (6F4R) and there is also a Brembo 8 piston monobloc available......

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i went to the Ring last month and had a passenger ride in the zacspeed viper that runs all day around the track, i chatted to the pro race driver he said zacspeed had tried all different brands of brakes over the years and they reckon 'Move-its' are by far the best out there. When he stomped on them it was like being cut in half by the harnesses, not surprizing when you see the size of them calipers no brake trailing ******* and instantly off again

You must be registered for see images

all the german VCA guys use them as well

movit - the brakes for CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP PLYMOUTH

Last edited:
OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have Stoptech ST-60 (6 piston) fronts and ST-40 rears, and that is not enough brake for my car. I don't think Dave's kit is an upgrade to this setup, but I will look into the Brembo 8 piston setup and mov-it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have Dave's complete Big Brake kit on my GTS. They are SRT-10 front and rear Calipers by Brembo. I run PFC pads in the front and Brakeman III's in the rear. I also added the Cone cooling ducts up front to cool the new Stoptech (ACR) slotted rotors. I have never wanted for brakes with this set up. I run my GTS in 105 F + temps on twisty road courses using Motul 600. I will admit that these brakes seem to work even better with the newly added downforce.

This is what the comp coupes run and they stop pretty well. Too bad you live so far away or you could try them.

I'd be really surprised if this set up wouldn't out perform your current one and parts are readily available.

Dan

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. If they were good enough for Mumford, they must be great. I ran MSR in Dallas for years- that track is ******* brakes. I will look into the Movits, because my ST-60, ST-40 Stoptech system, with PFC 97 and 01 pads, motul 600, 14 inch front slotted rotors (328mm rears), and ducting *****.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mov-Its that are pictured are not the same caliper as the Porsche Big Reds. 7-8 years ago, there was not many options for aftermarket calipers for the VRL cars. At that time the Big Reds were readily available. Not a great option for the Viper these days. You have the ideal brake system on your car already. Those are the same calipers that are being used by Speed World Challenge Vettes and they work very well with larger cars such as the GTS. What specific symptoms are you seeing on the track. If brake fade, then after how many laps? What are the track conditions? What tires are you running and how "fresh " are they? Are you getting faster and just need to move your braking points back to accommodate your increased speed? The weakest point of any brake system is not the calipers or pad, but the tires that are being asked to grip the road to slow the car.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes have terrbile torque. My old wilwoods would put you on the windshield if you were caught without a restraint harness (although they faded after 15-20 min). My current brakes will not stop the car. I have used them with Toyo Proxes RA1s (brand new) and Yokohama A005 (S02) slicks (brand new). They are not safe and will not stop the car effectively. Stoptech keeps telling me to bed the pads properly (I have done that now 3 times) and bleed the brakes (there is no air in the lines) and remove the brake bias (it is on the rear lines only and should not affect the front calipers). To give you an example- after 35 min of track time last weekend, there was still some rust on the rotors. As you know, the rotors should be shiny after any track time at all. I have only driven the car 2 hours the past 2 years, primarily because of my job and all the down time on the car due to install of Motons, Quaife dif, some motor work, and many brake issues. Both times were in the fall (Sep/Oct) at Heartland Park here in Topeka. A relatively fast road course with only 3 turns that are really demanding on the brakes (at the end of the long straight, the second turn after the carousel, and the end of the third straight), and I was never pushing it beyond 80% or so. The brakes were installed by Archer racing, and I also have large brake ducts. The last session I drove the brakes were below average from the start- it takes a lot of brake pressure to get them to bite, and then they faded even further after 15min of track time. Ambient temp was only around 50 F. I have been braking well before my typical brake points (and no trail braking to speak of) because I don't trust the brakes. They are the worst brakes I have ever owned, and for $8K I expected more. I don't think it is the tires or the brake fluid. I know its not the suspension. I know it is not the velocity I am carrying because it is slow. I originally suspected the BMC, but it is not leaking and Archer said it was fine. Therefore, I suspect it must be the calipers and pads. It seems the pistons simply do not force the pad into the rotors?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Viperidae,

"Therefore, I suspect it must be the calipers and pads. It seems the pistons simply do not force the pad into the rotors?"

I think you are correct. This is why I stated above that the SRT-10 4 piston Brembo set up front and rear works very well with the GTS.

The GTS has a smaller master cylinder reservoir and less power assist "boost" than the SRT-10 set up. I have two SRT-10s and am very familiar with both cars. Going to brakes with more / larger pistons like the big Stoptechs that need more fluid and more boost makes this situation worse. I will also guess that your pedal pressure is relatively high. You may have issues with your vacuum assist booster but I think the big 6 piston Stoptechs don't match up well with the GTS's MC and vacuum assist booster. It's likely that the Brembo 8 piston set up won't work well with your GTS either.

As stated above, I will compare brakes with anyone in a GTS, provided we have equal tires and weigh about the same. Bigger calipers don't always stop you better.

Ben Keating is a Viper Racer / Dealer in your area. He raced a GTS for a year or two. You may want to contact him as he will likely have some good input. Call Ben at Tomball Dodge in the Houston Metro area. Tell him Dan sent you.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang