Gen II Outside Door Button - degraded finish

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen II driver's side door button (outside) is showing wear in the 'rubberized' coating that came on it from the factory. A replacement from Scharf's is $100 ... a bit high for a minor cosmetic item. Has anyone found a product that can be used to 're-coat' or refinish the button? The GTS is different in that it has a black gloss finish. I'm looking for help on a GTS. Anyone run across this and found a good solution?

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "button" has completely cracked and is now a dull plastic. I also had a dealer put the wrong screw in from the inside and dent my outer door entry panel and to make it even worse, the inner panel has a crack. I need a lot more than just the button, but i'll be interested if someone has found a way to fix the button itself.

Regards,
Aaron

Reaction score
New in the box are available from Mopar, if that is any consolation. Separate part numbers for GTS and RT/10 based on the finish, and of course left and right. We added the GTS versions to our site if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, My issue is with the coating and I don't think it has anything to do with the sun in this case. My guess is that previous owners weren't paying attention to the way they pushed on the button. If you go at it with the end of your thumb all of the time, the thumb nail bites into the coating.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coating? I thought it was just polished plastic.

The ones on my 13yr old +70K GTS look like new. The entire black surrounding area appears to be the same material to me and have used a fine grit compund and plastic polish to clean up fine scratches before.

How's you steeringwheel & shifknob look?