Gen II Parts on Gen I?

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I did a search and it yielded too many results and not specific enough. Here are my questions? I have a 96 RT-10, Gen I motor right? I am looking to do some upgrades to get me in the 500rwhp range.

1. Will a Gen II intake manifold fit my Gen I and is it a better place to start the modification process than my Gen I?

2. Will a set of Belanger Headers that are coming off a 99 GTS fit my 96 RT?

3. Will Gen II heads fit my Gen I and are they are better place to start when I send the to Greg Goode for porting?

4. I want to do roller rockers as well but if I am reading the information I have found correctly they will not fit under my stock valve covers. What are my options?

5. Will the larger 65mm TB's be necessary for this build? How about injectors?

6. So ultimately I will have a ported and polished intake, ported heads, roller rockers, probably 65mm TB's, Belanger headers, full exhaust with the cats deleted, and a SCT or similar programmer. What would be a good cam to go with? My thought is the 708 would not be aggressive enough to get me to 500rwhp. I will of course consult GG and others on the cam but I wanted to get any thoughts, tips, suggestions, and critiques of my plans. The goal is 500 NA rwhp, I don't care how I get there per se.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. If you put Gen 2 heads on then 100% yes. Not sure if you keep your Gen 1 Heads
3. Yes they will fit, talk to Greg on if it matters what he starts with.
4. T&D's fit, I think it's the Jesels that don't w/o spacers. You can always modify the baffles for clearance if you find you need a little bit
5. stock injectors should be good for 500hp. I hit 475wrhp with my stockers and they were fine. 65mm TB's will help you reach your goal much easier.

I had all this stuff on my old Gen 2 motor with a 708 cam but no headwork and I was at 475rwhp and 501tq. Lots of my parts are for sale in the classifieds which you are looking for.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He may be right, but I would double-check MTGTS's answer regarding a Gen2 intake on a Gen 1 engine. The reverse cooling puts the thermostat housing and crossover on the firewall-side of the engine... I'm not sure it will work but I have been wrong before! There's a number of folks that could help you find your answer:

Greg Good
Jon B at PartsRack
DC Motorsports

They're all great guys and surely can help you avoid wasting time and money on a part that will not work with your car. Don't forget the tune!

Mike

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone is even running a Gen 3 intake on their Gen 1. I'm running a Gen 3 intake on my Gen 2

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. No need for gen.2 intake unless it's ported. Just hog out the holes where the gen. 2 throttle bodies bolt on to your gen. 1 intake.
2. The headers will fit if you cut out the ribs between the head ports on the flanges. They have to clear the bottom head bolts.
3. Gen.2 heads WILL NOT fit the gen. 1. different block.
4. Depends on which rockers and how they mount. Harland Sharps will fit no problem. Some of the shaft mounted rockers sit too high. You have to use a spacer or remove inner baffles.
5. The gen. 2 injectors are 3#'s bigger iirc. The 708 cam is a nice one.
With all the mods you should be high 400's hp. The gen. 1's really wake up with mods.
Been there, done that.:D

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
speak of the devil
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure, but I wanted to get rid of the dual throttle bodies. Got sick of adjusting throttle cables all the time plus made room for the tubes on the sides to be put underneath the manifold.:D
Can't be worse.

OP
OP
N

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info guys. As I am adding up the costs for all of this I am almost under the impression it would be cheaper to just put a ROE SC kit on it and be happy. Any thoughts on that route? SC vs NA w/a ton of mods? Lastly who has contact info for Greg Goode; phone and email please?

Craig,

OP
OP
N

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know anyone that has put a Gen II exhaust on a Gen I motor? Is just cutting the ribs off a viable option to make them fit? GG gave me some great advice on this build. I will be going with the 65mm TB's and a 708 cam. He was up in the air on the fuel programmer though as he has not seen a lot of improvement on a Gen I. Anybody have any other results from a programmer on a Gen I motor? Oh and he was speaking primarily about the SCT tuner. So with all of that said I am now looking for a Gen I manifold, Gen I heads, 708 cam, 160 thermostat, 65mm TB's, 1.7 roller rockers, and maybe Gen II injectors. I will check the classifieds here, the Alley and ebay of course. If you know or have a good deal hit me up. Thanks.

Craig,

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The setup that Greg is talking about is the one that I am running. In fact he was at the dyno run when I did my car a couple of weeks ago. I was suprised with the results. I didn't expect these numbers. 498 RWHP and 541 RWT. That is running stock tuning. I am getting ready to get a tune from DC Performance. I was running a little on the lean side.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnkeBit I was tracking that the Gen II manifold is not a direct fit for my Gen I.

OP
OP
N

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, manifold is not bad but the Gen II I am looking at already has 65mm Accufab TB's and Gen II injectors installed. So with that said does anybody have the definititve word; will a Gen II manifold fit my Gen I motor? Thanks.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know anyone that has put a Gen II exhaust on a Gen I motor? Is just cutting the ribs off a viable option to make them fit? GG gave me some great advice on this build. I will be going with the 65mm TB's and a 708 cam. He was up in the air on the fuel programmer though as he has not seen a lot of improvement on a Gen I. Anybody have any other results from a programmer on a Gen I motor? Oh and he was speaking primarily about the SCT tuner. So with all of that said I am now looking for a Gen I manifold, Gen I heads, 708 cam, 160 thermostat, 65mm TB's, 1.7 roller rockers, and maybe Gen II injectors. I will check the classifieds here, the Alley and ebay of course. If you know or have a good deal hit me up. Thanks.

Craig,

Shoot me a PM. I've got the setup you are talking about on my '95. It's got all the goodies and heads/CAM/intake by Greg. I've also got a set of Edelbrock headers and 65MM Accufabs that I'm selling.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, manifold is not bad but the Gen II I am looking at already has 65mm Accufab TB's and Gen II injectors installed. So with that said does anybody have the definititve word; will a Gen II manifold fit my Gen I motor? Thanks.

Late 94 and up gen.1 is the same basically as the gen.2 manifold. Early 94 has different mounting for IAC etc. Late=3 ribs on top. Early= 4 ribs on top.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21