Gen II Striker heads cost?

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So greg, ** much to have you work on my 2001 heads? You can Pm the price if you want. Thanks.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you read what I wrote?

DC Performance did all the work on my car,and chris did a fantastic job tuning my car to. This was on 91 pump gas..

You must be registered for see images attach

Bushido

I wasn't trying to tell you you had your engine done wrong. I was pointing out that "Mill the heads" has to be coordinated with everything else. I was saying that milling the heads requires cutting the intake and making shorter pushrods. I was pointing that out to other people reading this thread, obviously your's is done.

Just "milling the head" for hi-compression is a no-no unless you do all the other steps involved, or you could end up with a car that shuts off at 4,000rpm for a half hour.

Ted

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure you are N/A and plan to stay that way. I know with the turbos we want lower compression. It would **** to spend some nice change on some JM's and then decide that you want to go turbos later.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget when comparing cost. The Striker price includes:

-set of T'D Roller rockers
-custom, hardened pushrods

And...

-Your car is not down while heads are being done
- You still have a perfectly good set of heads to keep or sell to offset the -cost of the Strikers.

FWIW... I did some extensive research on this before I built my engines. Talked to Jm several times. After all, he is involved with the design of both.

I didn't have a preference between JM and Greg Good before I gathered the info and made my decision. My blower intake was already ported by Greg Good and he did a great job. I went with the best performance solution possible. I based my decision on the all the info facts and opinions gathered.

I have Strikers on my S/C Gen 2 and JM Stage 3 heads on my TT Gen.

:dunno:

Again, FWIW...

Strikers come with a custom set of Jesel shaft mount roller rockers, not T&D's.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A good set of ported production heads can make as much power as the Striker heads in many instances. The biggest benefit in the Striker heads is the improved cooling and big power gains when used with bigger cams.

When making a cam change, it is critical to keep the cylinder pressure up or you will not make good power. With a bigger cam (235-245 duration at 50) Target compression should be about 11.0 to 1. This works fine with 91 gas. Whatever cam you use, you should have 165-175 cranking compression. If in doubt, bolt a head on and check it.

To make power, the combination of parts is critical. We struggled with this for years, wondering why results were not always repeatable from engine to engine. Once we started
defining the CR, Camshaft centerline and header combination on every engine results were consistent.

My two cents,

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago om my modded NA Gen 2 i went from a fully ported set of stock heads to the Mopar Perf STREET STRIP HEAD (at the time was the latest and greatest )they held more coolant ,more material in the castings -could be ported to flow alot more air than the stock ect ect ect )ANYHOW getting the castings at dead dealer cost from Buhler the COMPLETED heads still cost me over 6k in 2000.The car was not one bit faster nor did it make any more power on the dyno.The 6 grand did get me a greater head flow number though.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago om my modded NA Gen 2 i went from a fully ported set of stock heads to the Mopar Perf STREET STRIP HEAD (at the time was the latest and greatest )they held more coolant ,more material in the castings -could be ported to flow alot more air than the stock ect ect ect )ANYHOW getting the castings at dead dealer cost from Buhler the COMPLETED heads still cost me over 6k in 2000.The car was not one bit faster nor did it make any more power on the dyno.The 6 grand did get me a greater head flow number though.
PS when the above Mopar Street Strip Heads were put on the car a custom ground Crower Cam and lifters was installed to specifically match the heads air flow ect (Heads were ported and set up by Crower Motorsport which was a parent company of Crower Cams).The cam was BIG(still hyd though ) over 600 lift 245 at 50 .Nick at Modern told me i crazy to spend the amount of money i did because i believed the HYPE .The car on pump gas and stock tires (full exhaust )stock head castings(Crower Stage 2 Cam ) ran 11.21 at 131.7 .The car with the Mopar Street Strip Head Castings ran 11.2 at 131.9.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you still had your car right now. It would of made alot more power, because back in your old days. They did not have the tuning capabilities like what they have today. Not to mention having better driveability to..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you still had your car right now. It would of made alot more power, because back in your old days. They did not have the tuning capabilities like what they have today. Not to mention having better driveability to..
Very true esp with the cam i was running .I sold the car with a completely rebuilt engine with a Perfect Power(baseline tune) in it and it was more streetable.I never had the oppurtunity to run it at the track though.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true esp with the cam i was running .I sold the car with a completely rebuilt engine with a Perfect Power(baseline tune) in it and it was more streetable.I never had the oppurtunity to run it at the track though.
What happened was one day i was srewing around overreved and bent a valve. At the time i moved from a house to a highrise so i put the car in storage at Buhler. By the time i got around to a complete rebuild it was a few years later.Nick at Modern did a complete Major rebuild(now with a Perfect Power DFI ) -while the car was being rebuilt EX VCA Pres J Houss (very familuar with the car )offered to buy it .I turned the car over to Joe with 250 miles on it and a baseline tune .Joe drove the car only a few hundred miles more (never final tuned it ect )and sold the car to a guy in Lithuania who races it over there.Nick has been working with him to finalize the tune.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The strykers are an amazing head. What is even more amazing is when Greg Good ports those. He did an amazing job on mine. if i were to oversimplify, the head flow is close to double stock. And at .400 lift, my strykers flow as well as a set of stryker race heads.

This was all before my wife got ahold of the finances... Do it now before it is too late!!!

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was all before my wife got ahold of the finances... Do it now before it is too late!!!

I don't let my wife get a hold of anything that doesn't lead to ****** arousement. It's a simple but foolproof policy that belongs in every healthy marriage.

Joe Dell, your Viper is boosted to living hell while these guys are talking about NA Viper builds.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't let my wife get a hold of anything that doesn't lead to ****** arousement. It's a simple but foolproof policy that belongs in every healthy marriage.

Isn't your wife normal and get sexually aroused when you give her money of buy her shoes??? :lmao:

Ted

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe Dell, your Viper is boosted to living hell while these guys are talking about NA Viper builds.

These guys are talking about Stryker heads. And I only need to run a mere 15lb of boost to make the power i used to need 26lb for. Is that boosted to hell? nah... :omg:

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you break that down?

heads + porting = $3500 or just porting? What about port matching the intake, throttle bodies etc?

This was my price with the heads. I bought the heads used on ebay and had Greg port them for $1,800.00. The intake was only $450.00 and throttle bodies were only $400.00. The cam was from Greg (special grind) $550.00. I did my own install and DLM did the tuning.