Gen III Forum Now with the Coupe Does it seem...

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemotox, I see your point, and I agree; the new coupe is a nice car, and like you said its just not spectacular (you didnt have to use the F-word on me though!! hahahha )

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this forum now seem more complete? I think so! Its a welcome addition to this forum that will have the Gen II guys coming over here much more often. I went to the Chicago Autoshow 2005 this afternoon and took pics of the GTS errr SRT Coupe and now truly believe that the car very Beautiful but it is NOT photogenic. The SRT Coupe in person is TRULY BREATHTAKING AND GORGEOUS!! But at every angle I tried to snap a pic, the camera couldn't properly interpret the beauty and appreciation of the shot I was taking. The curves were everywhere and yet I had great difficulty. I now know what everyone who went to the Autoshow and VOI8 saw! The car looks great! I hope to have photos from today's Autoshow up before the end of the weekend.

Jay K.
Is that like saying "your kid is good looking in person but is not in pictures"??? Just my 2 cents...

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah seriously. To each his own on that one. The Gen I and II are great cars, loved mine, but not for second do I think that they look better than the SRT.

Or maybe it is my prior ownership that evokes those feelings? My buddies see a great car. I see a poorly designed hood, cheap interior and rattling dash and brakes that recall downtown trafficking in the U-Haul.

Being that there are 8x the number of Gen I/II cars that there are SRT's I am sure that I am about to be called a heretic.
I wouldn't mind the SRT-10 if it wasn't for it's bland styling and corvette wheels and hood. There we are even... :p

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is, most SRT owners, owned or had the option to buy GEN I or II, and would have saved money by doing so, but chose to go for the better car.. :2tu:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is, most SRT owners, owned or had the option to buy GEN I or II, and would have saved money by doing so, but chose to go for the better car.. :2tu:

That's true. I guess this proves the old PT Barnum saying "there's a sucker born every minute"

:2tu: :2tu: :p :p

OP
OP
JGK95

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!!

Nice!

Head over to my 2005 Chicago Autoshow for more pics from the show.

Thanks,

Jay K.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can say different car, but not better car. Let's not get delusional here. For the Gen III to be a better car, it would have to look nicer than a Gen II. This is because a huge part for the Viper's appeal is the styling.

Everyone I've talked to acknowledges the Gen II to be the better Viper. The superior styling more than makes up for the 50 hp. You can add 50 hp, easily, to a Gen II. You can never add the timeless Gen II styling to the SRT. Case closed.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE BY VIPAH
I guess this proves the old PT Barnum saying

Yes an elephant like you should know about a circus! LMAO
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"vipah", Quote:

"Yes an elephant like you should know about a circus! LMAO"
GOOD ONE SRT10 :2tu:
ANDY:
"You can say different car, but not better car. Let's not get delusional here."
I didn't say prettier, I said better, much better in every category.. <font color="red"> CASE CLOSED </font>

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"vipah", Quote:

"Yes an elephant like you should know about a circus! LMAO"
GOOD ONE SRT10 :2tu:
ANDY:
"You can say different car, but not better car. Let's not get delusional here."
I didn't say prettier, I said better, much better in every category.. <font color="red"> CASE CLOSED </font>

Great respone. There is a not a single feature on your Gen II that is better than the Gen III. Your opinion is wonderful, but without factual basis.

Case is closed.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the Gen I and II cars, but the Gen III is a much, much BETTER car. It isn't really even close.

There are several guys on here who have moved up to the newer car, not one of them has claimed to be dissappointed. Without exception, every post made by previous Gen I or II owners claim the Gen III is a much better car.

I understand that if you are the owner of a Gen I or II you are very proud, rightfully so. However, you can be proud without claiming that is is an irrefutable fact and the opinion of the entire world that your car is superior to the newer one. This type of comment smells a bit like envy.

Now, those of you who claim to have never heard anyone prefer the Gen III....now you have.

Dirk

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gen I and II cars, but the Gen III is a much, much BETTER car. It isn't really even close.

There are several guys on here who have moved up to the newer car, not one of them has claimed to be dissappointed. Without exception, every post made by previous Gen I or II owners claim the Gen III is a much better car.

I understand that if you are the owner of a Gen I or II you are very proud, rightfully so. However, you can be proud without claiming that is is an irrefutable fact and the opinion of the entire world that your car is superior to the newer one. This type of comment smells a bit like envy.

Now, those of you who claim to have never heard anyone prefer the Gen III....now you have.

Dirk

There are also a lot of people who can afford Gen 3s from the Gen II camp, but choose to keep their Gen II. I'm one of them. There is nothing going on with envy here, if I wanted a Gen III I'd go get one tonight.

I'll admit you're right on most regards. The Gen III is faster, handles better, and brakes (much) better. The styling, however, is such a step in the wrong direction; the car itself can never be better overall, with this kind of styling. That is what us Gen II owners have been trying to say. Now, the Gen III is not ugly by any means, it is just very bland compared to the Gen IIs. That's why the viper has lost a big part of its appeal, and has a 200 day back-up supply. That's what happens when you get the guy who designed the Camry to design the viper. If it would have been low, wide, and ultra-exotic there wouldn't be an oversupply and terrible resale value.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caution, daily exposer to vibration from driving GEN II Vipers can lead to statements like this
Quote:
"it is just very bland compared to the Gen IIs. That's why the viper has lost a big part of its appeal, and has a 200 day back-up supply"

:confused: :eek: :shocked:

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh god, here we go again.
:rolleyes:
Sorry to vent on you Andy, but as a Gen III owner I've got to hear the same song and dance repeatedly from a handful of Gen I and II owners. I don't lump you into the same category as some of these trolls, but your comments are the same.

1. Style. You say step in the wrong direction. I, and many others, disagree. I think the car is MORE exotic and a better balance. I don't see anything bland about the styling at all. Obviously we can have different opinions on a subjective issue like styling. It gets very old listening to people claim to speak for the entire world when evaluating the style of the Gen III. Frankly, I love the older Vipers for many reasons. My personal opinion is that the GTS was beautiful and the rt/10 was butt ugly (I still love the car and it's Viperness). I am not arrogant enough to claim to speak for the rest of the world or claim that my opinion is FACT. It is only what I think.

2. Faster, handles better, brakes (much) better. We agree. There are also many other improvements i.e. pedal alignment, interior design etc. and most importantly it is a true convertible.

3. 200 day back-up. Here is where your comments are the most uninformed. Far more 03 Vipers were sold than your 98. Far more 04 Vipers were sold than your 98. The demand is greater, the sales are more brisk than nearly every single other year and model of Viper. The problem is that Dodge opened the flood gates and made a lot more Vipers than they ever have. (With no advertising or marketing plan at all :mad: ) They also produced them more quickly than they ever have. The Viper sales are flowing as much as ever, but the floodgates upstream are opened so there is a backup.

4. "Terrible re-sale value". Huh???? What do you base this on?? The resale on 03 and 04, despite Dodge's overproduction is very strong. Can you buy one, drive it 10,000 and get your money back? No. That is the nature of nearly every car ever made. It is the nature of depreciation. Depreciation is normally a big hit in the first year or 2 and then slower thereafter. The GenIII's are taking the first hit on depreciation. If the values fall that much every year for 5 years then I would agree with you. That is about as likely as getting struck by lightning in a coal mine. Not going to happen. The percent depreciation in the first year for your 98 RT/10 was probably very similar to that of the Gen III or any other Viper model. The Gen III will hold its value in future years just as well as the Gen I or II.

Dirk

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I attempt to put this to rest:

a. The Viper of any generation is a terrible car, and I, for one, would never own one.

b. The Gen III Viper is truly heinous in appearance, and with its introduction, the fate of Team Viper was sealed. No cars were actually sold after 2002.

c. D-C would never listen to owners' suggestions although if you insult them long enough, they may change their minds.

d. The SRT-10 Coupe was introduced as a direct slap in the face of Viper owners and was part of an under-the-table deal with Chebby who has prepared a wonderful/marvelous new car that only a fool would not own.

e. I briefly tried a couple of those Gen III Vipers, and I only did so because there were no Gen II's available anywhere at any price. Hated the experience and hope to sell the one I have someday.

f. The true surplus of SRT-10s is 1,849, most of these are White Mambas which were unable to be sold. The factory produced these cars from left over parts and got them cleared away so that they could convert to Chia Pet manufacturing.

g. Plans for a V-11 Hemi Viper were scrubbed. The engine appeared too light. The carbon fiber/titanium alloyed/comp coupe designed SRT-10 Coupe could have been produced for $73k if the purchasers agreed to furnish their own drive train and suspension.

h. Discussing this endlessly is extremely productive because it results in productive change of opinion, expressed gratitude and formation of friendships that will last years if not minutes.

i. Since the number of epithets thrown at each other will eventually be depleted, I have come up with a few that you can use:
1. Pin head
2. Pea brain
3. Mini mind
4. Mighty mouth
5. gomer
6. unfriendly &amp; ill-tempered person

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too funny hemotox.. all the guys around my cube at work are laughing at your post; even though I dont agree with you on everything; nice work on that one.

V-11 Hemi Viper...hahhah sounds like a good rumor to start!

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew:

Actually, I did not agree with anything I stated. I would never own a car that would have me as a driver.

Glad it brought you some grins...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't we all just.... get along? :D

I've driven gens 1, 2 and 3. I have to say gen 3's drive much better, but just don't have the same gut response the gen 1s and 2s have. Maybe I just enjoy my teeth rattling as I drive. :D When I was finally ready to buy a viper recently, I had my choice of all gens and picked a gts for it's better looks.

That said, I honestly think the srt convertibles look really good, and indeed looks like a edgier interpretation of the original viper. I'm just not a convertible kinda guy. The problem with the new coupe is the slapped on approach to design. The front looks like a srt, the back looks like a gts. The comp coupe is much more in line with the srt design, and I will never understand why they abandoned the comp coupe styling for the frankenstain that is the coupe now, other than sloppy and lazy designing.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and the topic goes on...and on...and...

OK, I am no longer in denial. I accept that this discussion is like pergatory...there is no escape.

Please post the outcome as to who won...and...er...how that was determined.

If anyone wants my vote, it is for the XRT-12 (the AMG powered V-12 Viper with the gull wing doors).

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice,

Are you planning on keeping the Mamba and owning the coupe at the same time, or selling your Mamba once you get the coupe?

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy:

If I move forward on the coupe, I'll be trading the Mamba.

Wish I could justify two Vipers, but I cannot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960