Gen III Manual Transmission Fluid Change

fhrzr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the Manual Transmission Fluid on my 2005.
First time using AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 75W90 API GL-4
Shifting is smoother. Nice surprise !!!!

Fill Plug 20 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 28 ft/lbs
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hmm, I may have to go this way eventually. The factory fill stuff (Castrol Syntorq) is getting harder and harder to find and I believe was even discontinued. Tremec technically recommends ATF and that's what's used in just about every other T56 installation out there, though you do get more of the gear noise when using it (I've got it in a T56 in my 67 Dart and know what people mean by "neutral gear rattle" now).

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hello, fhrzr1, thanks for posting your interesting info on the T-56 drain plug torque spec.

I took this opportunity to review ALL of the Dodge Viper Service Manuals printed from 1992 through 2006 which I have in my garage...then I opened the Gen IV and Gen V Viper Service Manuals on CD:

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1992 and 1993 Vipers is listed as "25 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1994 through 2006 Vipers is listed as "28 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 2008 through 2017 Vipers is listed as "20 ft. lbs".

As you might expect, I have been going with the Dodge info on all of our Vipers for the past 25 years...so far, so good !! :)

FasrRice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did this on my 2005 with 17k miles and it’s definitely smoother. I have no real idea on how old the fluid was in my car it may have been the original fill still.
Btw if you’re doing use the plastic bag for the oil instead of the plastic bottles.
Way easier to squeeze the fluid in from the bag than to pump it.

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the Manual Transmission Fluid on my 2005.
First time using AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 75W90 API GL-4
Shifting is smoother. Nice surprise !!!!

Fill Plug 20 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 28 ft/lbs
How many quartz does it take?
Where can I find a 2006 Gen 3 service manual?
Where did you buy this Amsoil from?

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am doing this in my 2005 this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. The shifter is especially hard and "notchy" on mine. Suspect original fluid.

John

Gary Dawson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed mine out with Red Line MTL 75w80 recently. No miracle but it is quiet, no rattle. Seems to shift about the same as before. Probably had the original lube in it. Tranny seems to shift smoother once everything gets warmed up. It will probably be a little stiff in cold weather but I won't be driving her much then anyway. From reviews here I may switch it out for AMSOIL to see the difference (if there is one).

Last edited: