1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen III Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by fhrzr1, May 4, 2021.

1. fhrzr1

fhrzr1 Enthusiast

I changed the Manual Transmission Fluid on my 2005.
    First time using AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 75W90 API GL-4
    Shifting is smoother. Nice surprise !!!!

Fill Plug 20 ft/lbs
    Drain Plug 28 ft/lbs 2005 Transmission Drain Plug.jpg 2005 Viper Fill Plug Transmission.jpg Amsoil 1.jpg Amsoil 2.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  2. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Venom Member Venom Member

FYI...drain plug torque listed as 28 ft-lbs in the 2005 Viper Service Manual.

3. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President Venom Member

Hmm, I may have to go this way eventually. The factory fill stuff (Castrol Syntorq) is getting harder and harder to find and I believe was even discontinued. Tremec technically recommends ATF and that's what's used in just about every other T56 installation out there, though you do get more of the gear noise when using it (I've got it in a T56 in my 67 Dart and know what people mean by "neutral gear rattle" now).

4. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Venom Member Venom Member

Hello, fhrzr1, thanks for posting your interesting info on the T-56 drain plug torque spec.

I took this opportunity to review ALL of the Dodge Viper Service Manuals printed from 1992 through 2006 which I have in my garage...then I opened the Gen IV and Gen V Viper Service Manuals on CD:

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1992 and 1993 Vipers is listed as "25 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1994 through 2006 Vipers is listed as "28 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 2008 through 2017 Vipers is listed as "20 ft. lbs".

As you might expect, I have been going with the Dodge info on all of our Vipers for the past 25 years...so far, so good !! :)

fhrzr1 likes this.
  5. fhrzr1

fhrzr1 Enthusiast

I agree !!!!!