Gen1 Eibach: piece o'cake... now about alignment.....

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen1 Eibach: piece o\'cake... now about alignment.....

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the tips on how to adjust the Koni's. The entire process for amazing quick. I don't think the actual mechanical work took more than an hour or so. Getting the springs installed was a minor trial; none of the spring compressors we had would fit between the coils, so we ended up schleping them down to a local shop (Viper tax paid; $90 for 15 mins. of work).
It was much simpler than any of the suspension work on my 4x4's. Didn't even need an impact wrench to loosen any suspension bolts....
The next step is getting an alignment done. Are Viper alignments a dealer-only thing? I looked in the shop manual, and it looks like ballasting the car, along with loosening and retorquing all the suspension bolts is required; I don't think most alignment places do this sort of thing. On the other hand, it seems that a specialty shop might do a better job. I'm also curious what a full alignment procedure should cost, both time and $$$-wise; I still miffed at the spring thing...
Just curious; are the stock alignment settings good for a lowered car that sees mostly street/autox use? Should the design height be changed now the car is dropped?

Thanks!

Chris529

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Gen1 Eibach: piece o\'cake... now about alignment.....

I lowered my Gen1 w/Eibachs over the weekend. I took it to a local alignment shop(which I've used before) today and they did a very nice job. It took them about an hour and a half and cost ~$65 w/tax.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Really? Wow, that's some deal! The alignment on my VW was over $100; I figured probably 2-3x for the Viper...
I looked through the shop manual regarding alignment, and there are a lot of additional steps listed that most cars don't require (retorquing the suspension bolts, ballasting for height) etc., and a bunch of special tools listed. Was your shop able to do all of that? Do they happen to be a chain-type operation (maybe I can find one out here?)?

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, no pics yet. The car's still up on stands as I go through the brakes. I'm about to pull off the fascias and sills for a respray this upcoming long weekend as well. I'll get some pics up as soon as everything is done though.

vipergts2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was told the averege Dodge Dealer will take like 5 hours to do an alignment...Not the same as going to your local Americas Tire Company.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, but the $65 special will not suffice for the Viper! Please talk to your viper tech who will know why and explain the reasons why it takes approx 4-5 hours to do an alignment. Also, do a search, as there is plently of information regarding this subject. Good luck!!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

obaa996,
You are in Portland OR., contact JonB at Parts Rack, across the river from you (in WA):
[email protected],
or by phone at 360-837-3937.
He will know where to go.

Several other Viper Owners in Portland.
Later,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine