Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
GM accepts Dodge Viper challenge

January 12, 2007

BY KATIE MERX

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The new 600-horsepower 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 won't keep its king-of-the-hill position for long if General Motors Corp. Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has anything to do with it.

Asked on Thursday during a meeting with analysts whether Chevrolet plans to produce the Corvette Blue Devil, GM's next generation super sports car, to usurp the Viper's newly won pole position in the race for the title of most powerful U.S. sports car, Lutz scoffed.

"As you all know, it is not our policy to discuss future product programs. However ... ," he said to laughter from the audience, "it is very important for Corvette to be the most powerful, most capable, best handling sports car in the United States."

Lutz acknowledged that "a recent competitor" had surpassed the top-level Corvette's horsepower.

"But the Corvette vehicle line executive will not take that lying down," Lutz said.

Chevrolet has a Corvette in development that is known as the Blue Devil, Devil Ray, Stingray or SS depending on whom you talk to, said Bob Gritzinger, senior editor for news at AutoWeek magazine.

"We all know the new Corvette is out there. The car is in development and it's been speculated that it will have about 650 horsepower. ... It's supposed to be here in 2009."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even a year after the Blue devil rumors I still don't know how there going to put 650hp down reliably. There having enough trouble putting 500hp down reliably.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are they remedying the problems they've had with the current Z06 ? One of the reasons I traded my 01 Vette for a Viper instead of the new Z06.
CB

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GM can try keep on upping the Viper but until they limit production it will never have the status the Viper has and will continue to have in the future.JMO

THATS WHY WE ALL HAVE VIPERS INSTEAD OF CORVETTES!!!!!!!!!
Bill

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GM can try keep on upping the Viper but until they limit production it will never have the status the Viper has and will continue to have in the future.JMO

Bill

Supposedly, GM is going to limit the Blue Devil to 1500 units per year for a two year run. If that's true, and the car is reasonably well built, prices will astronomical after massive dealer mark-ups. Easily Ford GT prices. The Vette guys will beat their chests about being "King of the Hill" again, but the car will be unobtainable to 99.9% of them.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Valentine. HUGE markups... and it will just look like a vette with a bulge in the hood.
And, reliability??

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh guys!

We all know that if they actually produce it, we will still admire it a little bit. It still has 650 HP, reliable or not. Kinda like the competitors at the X-Games. There is mutual respect.

Problem is if they produce it, they will have to make my mirror in the Viper extra strong, since I will be hanging all the ******* that drop as the women walk by and look at my car.

Hey I heard that GM was going to steal away the "Sweet" mullet brothers from the DCX commercials for the official spokespeople for new Blue Devil. I think it will fit 99% of the demographic that will purchase the car.

Everyone knows that a Viper can kill a StingRay, on land anyway. In the water, who cares.

Rick

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Supposedly, GM is going to limit the Blue Devil to 1500 units per year for a two year run. If that's true, and the car is reasonably well built, prices will astronomical after massive dealer mark-ups. Easily Ford GT prices. The Vette guys will beat their chests about being "King of the Hill" again, but the car will be unobtainable to 99.9% of them.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO.......talk about getting owned :p

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We all know that if they actually produce it, we will still admire it a little bit. It still has 650 HP, reliable or not.

What is HP? It probably still won't have the torque.

My Z06 vette once gave me a citation due to lack of torque and/or the presence of the geek gizmos. I will probably never go back to vette, unless they fix the serious lack of torque at low RPMs... Why would I want a vette when I have a Viper and a Mustang?! :2tu:

Peter

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truely hope the Vette Blue Baller comes out with 650hp. That will only force DC to redesign the next gen viper and beef it up even more to 700hp+ , while shedding some weight! :2tu:

Well that, or give up and discontinue the Viper. Creating a huge bump in collectability and resale value for all Vipers! :D

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new "Blue Devil" will be built with a supercharger from the factory. So that means it will come built with forged internals (I don't know that for a fact, but I don't know why it wouldn't).

The current Z06 has high compression and does not have forged internals. That's why they blow apart when they get forced induction.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
GM accepts Dodge Viper challenge

January 12, 2007

BY KATIE MERX

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The new 600-horsepower 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 won't keep its king-of-the-hill position for long if General Motors Corp. Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has anything to do with it.

Asked on Thursday during a meeting with analysts whether Chevrolet plans to produce the Corvette Blue Devil, GM's next generation super sports car, to usurp the Viper's newly won pole position in the race for the title of most powerful U.S. sports car, Lutz scoffed.

"As you all know, it is not our policy to discuss future product programs. However ... ," he said to laughter from the audience, "it is very important for Corvette to be the most powerful, most capable, best handling sports car in the United States."

Lutz acknowledged that "a recent competitor" had surpassed the top-level Corvette's horsepower.

"But the Corvette vehicle line executive will not take that lying down," Lutz said.

Chevrolet has a Corvette in development that is known as the Blue Devil, Devil Ray, Stingray or SS depending on whom you talk to, said Bob Gritzinger, senior editor for news at AutoWeek magazine.

"We all know the new Corvette is out there. The car is in development and it's been speculated that it will have about 650 horsepower. ... It's supposed to be here in 2009."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even a year after the Blue devil rumors I still don't know how there going to put 650hp down reliably. There having enough trouble putting 500hp down reliably.

The Z-06's problems are being inflated by the fact that there are so many "tuners" (hacks) out there tweaking the snot out of these cars.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, tell me what I'm missing here???? In the SCCA T1 road races the Vipers are handicapped with a 140#s of lead added to the frame and the air intakes restricted so the race is "fair" to Vettes and Porsches. Did I miss something in the seminar with Cindy telling us that?? Leave the Viper as it is without restrictions and the Vette needs a 900hp engine. Man, seems I'm missing something here besides Brains??? :confused: :headbang:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, tell me what I'm missing here???? In the SCCA T1 road races the Vipers are handicapped with a 140#s of lead added to the frame and the air intakes restricted so the race is "fair" to Vettes and Porsches. Did I miss something in the seminar with Cindy telling us that?? Leave the Viper as it is without restrictions and the Vette needs a 900hp engine. Man, seems I'm missing something here besides Brains??? :confused: :headbang:

I think the REAL Viper challenge to GM should be for the Vettes (and Caddies) to run with the same weights and air intake restrictors as the Vipers.

Me thinks the great (no sarcasm) Lutz should step up to that. :nana:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is great that the ss Vette will be at 650hp just raises the bar that much more. Also remember that with a supercharger all you have to do is put a smaller pulley and theres another 100rwhp. With my GT I gained 100rwhp with a pulley swap. From 551rwhp to 651rwhp

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They always seem to overlook that info.

In fairness to the C6 Z06 it wasn't approved for T1 in 2006. Something about the frame being too weak.

crayne hurst

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had four love them.Still have two 2000+03 im going to sell my 03 to get 08.
A vet will just be a vet.You know with toying a bit any blue del vet is history.Got two ford gts,one really modded and other being worked on now.
So when the new vet shows if it shows who cares

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello.......McFly........the Z-06, the Blue Devil, Sting Ray whatever STILL will LOOK like a Vette.

What does a Viper look like? (please no S2000 comments...LOL!)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill

What about the vipers? Are they going to return to the limited production numbers of the GEN II's? That is a good point about the costs though. For now, let's just get some diamondbacks on the streets, and tracks.