going from Gen II to Gen III

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 2002 GTS mainly because convertible tops down in south Louisiana do not fair well at all (humidity, salt)...so that ruled out the RT/10 and SRT/10. Also the 2002 GTS fit more into my present budget than a Gen III. It is my daily driver.

I previously owned 3 vettes in a row (last one was 2002 Z06). Although very satified with them, I was looking for a new driving experience and the C6 styling dissapointed.

I haven't actually ever driven or sat in a Gen III. My question is for those who have migrated from Gen II to Gen III, and even some who may have both. As an owner/driver, what are the main differences?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it handles better, is a hair faster, and brakes much better, although you don't get anywhere near the same kind of rock star attention you get on a gen1/2

Do the smart thing... get both! :2tu:

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it handles better, is a hair faster, and brakes much better, although you don't get anywhere near the same kind of rock star attention you get on a gen1/2

A hair faster? As far as attention, I have never had someone take a picture of the car I was driving on the freeway before I got the 04viper :2tu:

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't actually ever driven or sat in a Gen III.

Just take a Gen III for a test drive. You'll see for yourself that the Gen III is a much better sports car! :2tu:

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't actually ever driven or sat in a Gen III.

Just take a Gen III for a test drive. You'll see for yourself that the Gen III is a much better sports car! :2tu:
Hands down! No doubt that the Gen II is better looking but the overall experience is no comparison. I'll own both one day but the SRT is just awesome!

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to Las Vegas.Gamble your *** off, get up the next day and rent one for a day(top-up if it's 100) See for yourself.Both cars are a unique driving expierence. Don't let anyone tell you you lose your rockstar status..not true.

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently sold my 99 GTS and bought an '05 SRT.

Couple of things I noticed early on (its only been about 4 months)

1. Brakes are an order of magnitude better. For me, the 1999 did not even have ABS so just having ABS is a big win :)
2. SRT fixes the bucking problem. It was bad in Gen I, better in Gen II and gone in Gen III.
3. Way better seats. They really hug you.
4. More power but then my '99 actually dyno'd higher than my SRT because of mods.
5. More wandering on the freeway - happened some in the 99 but not near as much. Seems to have gone away for me after I added the Motons.
6. Better stereo

Anyhow, probably a lot else out there. Give me a ring if you want to chat.

j

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Slower than a gen2 stock vs stock.
2. The seats ****.
3. Doesn't get near the attention of a GTS.
4. Rides rougher than a wagon, probably the run flats.

5. The brakes rule.
6. Love the easy top....especially compared to an RT/10.
7. Handles very well.
8. Nice car for a girl :laugh:

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1Tony1 -

Is that convertible envy I hear :)

Actaully, I was concerned about lack of looks but oddly enough, that hasn't been a problem. In fact, it probably got more stares at ALMS this year than my 1999 did last year - go figure.

Personally, I think the genII has more **** body lines but then the convertible is really hard to beat - especially in oregon in the summer.

cheers -

j

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Slower than a gen2 stock vs stock.
2. The seats ****.
3. Doesn't get near the attention of a GTS.
4. Rides rougher than a wagon, probably the run flats.

5. The brakes rule.
6. Love the easy top....especially compared to an RT/10.
7. Handles very well.
8. Nice car for a girl :laugh:

1: Nope. Gen III is faster, both on the track and at the drag strip. If you've seen something different, then it's likely because the Gen III owner was a lousy driver.
2: I like the seats.
3: Nope. It's still a Viper, and everyone recognizes it. It gets lots of attention, especially when you've got the top down.
4: Yes. It rides very rough.
5: Yes, the brakes rule
6: Yes, the top is easy
7: Yes, the Gen III handles well
8: Yes, girls love this car

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A hair faster? As far as attention, I have never had someone take a picture of the car I was driving on the freeway before I got the 04viper :2tu:

Yes... a hair faster, and the better driver can beat the srt in a gen2. I have driven both, and I do prefer the handling of the srt-10... it's a better car overall. I'm even thinking of getting gen3 seats in my gts.

No one said you would get NO attention in an SRT... it's a beaut, but doesn't evoke the same passion and nostalgia as a gen1/2. For me, that's more important than performance. Truth be told, that is probably the only advantage the gen1/2's have over the gen3's. Instead of celebrating each other's choice of the Viper brand, we're too busy tearing into each other for gen differences.

Spend this energy setting up more meets, club sponsored or not, and enjoy each other's Vipers of all gens. I'd bet we're more friends than enemies.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes... a hair faster, and the better driver can beat the srt in a gen2. I have driven both, and I do prefer the handling of the srt-10... it's a better car overall. I'm even thinking of getting gen3 seats in my gts.

No one said you would get NO attention in an SRT... it's a beaut, but doesn't evoke the same passion and nostalgia as a gen1/2. For me, that's more important than performance. Truth be told, that is probably the only advantage the gen1/2's have over the gen3's. Instead of celebrating each other's choice of the Viper brand, we're too busy tearing into each other for gen differences.

Spend this energy setting up more meets, club sponsored or not, and enjoy each other's Vipers of all gens. I'd bet we're more friends than enemies.

AMEN Couldnt have said it better, after having had both, the decision is purely personal, there are things that you will love about both cars and it is unfortunate that a lot of us cant afford to have both at the same time, because I surely would. :headbang:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1 -

Is that convertible envy I hear :)

How do you figure ? Look at my sig......there is one in the garage ;) Somebody asks for an opinion and you guys can't handle it when somebody gives their opinion if it doesn't agree with yours

The runflats and launch is the problem with the SRT10. Let's do this, everybody on this thread that has said the SRT is quicker.....post up your 1/4" mile time or show me a video of you out running a gen2 ???? Different tires or a 60 roll the gen3 might win.

Why do the Neon seats **** ?? Because the bolster is way to big. Bigger than needed even for turning corners and for a drag racer it really gets in the way of the shifting.

Yes it handles like a race car and makes up for it by beating your teeth out if the road has joints or is rough. But you still need to remember my gen2 will kick a SRT's teeth in at the autocross :eek:

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony you did a 12.28 in the 1/4 mile in my SRT-10 when it had only 3000 miles on it. You are right it will beat you up on a rough road. But compared to my 96 RT-10 the SRT-10 is a dream boat ride. I will stay with the SRT.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony you did a 12.28 in the 1/4 mile in my SRT-10 when it had only 3000 miles on it. You are right it will beat you up on a rough road. But compared to my 96 RT-10 the SRT-10 is a dream boat ride. I will stay with the SRT.

I should have never asked you if you were fond of the rear tires :D A good burnout would have helped.

I like the SRT, but there are some things I dislike too. Plus..you guys are sooooo easy to get upset :eek:

p.s. I'm not suggesting anybody sell their SRT and go to a gen1/2. To each his own. I have both.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 2002 GTS mainly because convertible tops down in south Louisiana do not fair well at all (humidity, salt)...so that ruled out the RT/10 and SRT/10. Also the 2002 GTS fit more into my present budget than a Gen III. It is my daily driver.

I previously owned 3 vettes in a row (last one was 2002 Z06). Although very satified with them, I was looking for a new driving experience and the C6 styling dissapointed.

I haven't actually ever driven or sat in a Gen III. My question is for those who have migrated from Gen II to Gen III, and even some who may have both. As an owner/driver, what are the main differences?

Are you thinking a coupe ???

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for your honest opinions and advise.

Am I thinking of coupe????

Of course... always looking and thinking. The asking price is likely somewhat north of my budget. Also not sure whether to SC what I have or save my pennies for a potential Gen III purchase.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion (for what it's worth) is to keep the FE and supercharge it. You got the looks, performance, and you can always do a brake upgrade. Best of all worlds, except maybe the ability to mentally fight new car fever. That's a tough one.

I always ask myself, will I really be happier?

I'm not a big fan of CSI, but still curious about your occupation.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of celebrating each other's choice of the Viper brand, we're too busy tearing into each other for gen differences.

This is precisely why I am losing interest in this forum. Many have already left and there will be more to follow if this nonsense keep up ... ;)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of celebrating each other's choice of the Viper brand, we're too busy tearing into each other for gen differences.

This is precisely why I am losing interest in this forum. Many have already left and there will be more to follow if this nonsense keep up ... ;)

My sentiments exactly. I understand it starts with good-natured ribbing (we're all guilty of it), brother to brother, but then we let it get out of hand. Some of us needs more growing up to do.

Here's a repost of a sinful photoshop job I did to lighten things up a bit, and take note, I have a gen2 so don't flame me! :D

You must be registered for see images

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man you SRT guys are still in denial? When the f*** are you guys going to realize your Viper is no where nearly as beautiful as the GTS/RT-10??? :confused:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a repost of a sinful photoshop job I did to lighten things up a bit, and take note, I have a gen2 so don't flame me! :D

You must be registered for see images

Now that is funny. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang