Going to WAR with small coolant leak

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after going back in forth having a issue /not having a issue I have finally decided to carpet bomb my coolant leak issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

My car is a 96 B/W GTS with 7300 miles on it. I got it from original owner of 12 yrs with 5300 miles. Having a low milage car has its obvious advantages, but it doesn't take away the fact this car has all original parts that are 14 yrs old.

The car runs fine, no coolant in oil, blows hot air, but has a leak by the overflow, and drips that are common from water pump failure

I have done extensive research on this board about GTS Water Pump issue, Timing Cover gasket issue, Hoses going bad, T-stat sticking, Radiator cap, punctured overflow,radiator leaking, burping issues....Well I have declared WAR :lol:

I have bought a list of item that my Maryland Vette crew and I will perform at a great bud of ours man cave that has a lift, and all the tools necessary to perform this work.

Here is the list I have ordered / received:

1. AC Delco Water Pump / Gasket
  2. OEM T-stat / Gasket
  3. Timing Chain Cover Gasket
  4. Simco Silicone Upper / Lower Hoses
  5. Radiator cap
  6. Serpentine Belt (why not?!:rolaugh:)
  7. OEM Radiator
  8. Roe Racing Upper Hose Bleeder valve
  9. Oil Filter (still got to buy oil)
  10. Still got to get coolant

Going to take Bumper Cover off to inspect overflow (I found a good write up with pics on here):headbang:

Anything else I need?

I only want to do this once. Just do it all and be done with it. :eater:

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're putting GM parts on your Dodge? And why not replace the sending unit? I did when I replaced my cooling system. If you want info on my DIY dual pusher fan setup PM me it rocks.

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're putting GM parts on your Dodge? And why not replace the sending unit? I did when I replaced my cooling system.

Well after reading how Dodge water pumps are terrible, why not? I dont have the GM vs Dodge thing because I own both a Viper and a Vette..I can understand the raised eyebrows, but I'm not doing this again

:2tu:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gm delco is just a box company now- it isnt a gm pump- who knows what it is, probably the same as 5 other pumps in differant boxes.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious about the part could care less too what the box says.

I was just researching at water pumps the other day after seeing a thread about one in an '02 that spun on its shaft. The AC Delco website does say that they use Heat-treated, cast-iron or steel-stamped impellers. It did make me wonder if that would be better or worse than the Mopar design. The Mopar pump doesn't necessarily have a great reputation. (Mine is at 45k miles; so, probably whatever I buy will last through the rest of my ownership of the car.)

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May want to consider putting in a 185 degree thermostat versus the OEM 195 since you are changing it out.