Gonna try to do the dash myself

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.. after much consideration.. I think I'll take the dash apart myself and paint it. I'm still not convinced on the color. The car is black -- so, I'm considering flat black, or high gloss. I'd love to see pics of yours if it's black and you've painted it either way.

Also, what product should I use to strip off that crappy soft finish on the dash now?

thanks!

jp

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go flat black - looks best IMO

6061dashafter.JPG

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that looks really good. But, I've also seen the glossy finish.. and, I'm really up in the air about it.

jp

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments.. more pics would be great.. Can someone who's done it tell me how to get that sticky stock stuff off?

thanks
jp

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
don't know about the rubbery paint, but the Gloss will show every little flaw, the Flat will hide just about anything.
There are some dashes with gloss that look really good, just be ready for prep time to make it look right.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone try to repaint the dash a gray color? I'd like to keep it as stock as possible...

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my dash with a brand new one...took 20 minutes to do it myself...Buy the dash from Tator if you are a VCA member...20% off of $375.00 will not come with the glovebox though...I will post some pics as soon as i get a chance..

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on the flat just due to high maintenance gloss finish but... The flat need more to it MGW all around

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into a post that oven cleaner may help in getting that rubberized crap off of the dash. Has anyone done this?

I'm leaning toward flat black.. but, would still like to see some other pics.

thanks
jp

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brillo or sos pads and elbow grease get the job donwe followed by 500 grit then 1000 grit and the 2000 grit lots of scrubing and sanding for a smooth flawless surface and the do a search for Chad the snake hydes guy he posted the best primer paint and clear to use for Dash refinishing. good luck happy scrubing and sanding

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte