Got a ticket....HELP!

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do laws in another state have to do with the law in the state you are in?

It's called reciprocity.

Whatever you want to call it, it is not applicable here. If your vehicle is illegal in the specific state that you are travelling to, it does not matter that it is legal in its home state. As an example, when I lived in AZ, where window tint all around is not only legal but a basic necessity, everyone knew that if you travelled to CA you'd better carry a scraper or be prepared for a ticket. You can always take your chances, and that's what I would do as far as not registering the car in CA--what's the likelihood that same cop is gonna stop you? By the way, to me reciprocity means that the states work together to come after you if you blow off the ticket in the outside state, or that points accrued in the second state count against you at home. I could be wrong about this, but I do not think I am wrong about the legal/illegal in another state issue. Since I am going to court tomorrow, I'll ask someone if I get the opportunity.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who say that I must put a front plate on my car when travelling through a state which requires it (despite my home state not)...where do i get the front plate from? I only get one to put on the rear. I have to say that I don't know the law on that issue but have never been stopped for it and it doesn't make good sense.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not gotten stopped for this in the Viper, but have in many other cars (I've never used a front plate, never gotten ticketed for it). However, this is what I would try if it became a recurring problem: Keep the license plate attached to your front visor on the passenger side. If you get stopped, flip it down and tell the officer its the best you could do without a factory mounting location, and putting it on the dash seemed even more stupid. Don't know if it would work, but worth a shot.

CAVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reasopn those cities in So Cal are craking down is probably because of all the cameras at the traffic lights that take your picture for running the lights they like that head on shot of the plate.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, it just occured to me that if you were visiting California and got a ticket, there would be no way your court date would be within ten days. So, to exercise your right to a trial verdict, you have to "move there" (register the car if you stay more than ten days) or be in violation of their laws. Our local government at work!

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I live in Calif. and drive a Viper with no front plate. Prior to that I had Corvettes for almost 20 years with no front plate. I got stopped and ticketed for no front plate 1 time and the cop told me he would have not pulled me over if my plate did not have a clear cover on it. It is illegal in Calif. to have any type of a clear or tinted cover over the rear license plate. I go to traffic school every 2 years and I was not aware of this law so I ask the cop. He explained that about 20 years ago a large trucking firm was making paper plates and covering them with clear plastic covers that made them look almost real and they got away with it for quite awhile. He even told me that some cars just don't look good with a front plate, mine included and he would not have stopped me if the rear plate wasn't covered.
It is not a moving violation, just a fix it ticket. So I went to all the trouble to put a plate on the front and go down to the CHP office to get it written off. Cop just said Corvette and did not even bother to go look at the car. He just wrote it off. I believe loud pipes is also a fix it ticket so before going to court I would go to the CHP office and try to get the ticket taken care of. Just tell them you have no front plate and the exhaust is stock. You have nothing to loose and it beats going to court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32