Got Grundy full value appraised insurance

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had car prof appraised. Pictures taken. Insured for $85,000 which is close to what I have in it. Cost is $1223.00 per year. GTS Bruce ;)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to my Geico agent today, and she told me that Geico now does collector car insurance. I asked her what it would cost to insure my GTS for a declared value of $60k and she quoted me $700 a year. That's about the same as what I'm currently paying, but the current policy would probably only cover the car's value up to around $45k. I'm thinking seriously about it...

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just called Geico, no declared value for vipers their not old enough

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked her to send me a copy of the contract - just to be sure it's not some kind of useless insurance that only covers me if a meteorite hits my car while I'm doing a parade to honor vegetarian BBQ hall-of-famers...

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just called Geico, no declared value for vipers their not old enough

You should talk to someone else, because she specifically told me that the car didn't have to be 'historic' or meet certain age limits. All it had to have was collector value, be limited production, and only driven 'infrequently'. She had to look up a lot of stuff while I was talking to her, and ask other people - apparently the coverage is very new. There's always the chance that she didn't know what she was talking about, too...

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lol, my insurance is up Friday looks like Im staying with hagerty agreed value 5k a year about $1400

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should talk to someone else, because she specifically told me that the car didn't have to be 'historic' or meet certain age limits. All it had to have was collector value, be limited production, and only driven 'infrequently'. She had to look up a lot of stuff while I was talking to her, and ask other people - apparently the coverage is very new. There's always the chance that she didn't know what she was talking about, too...[/quote

The guy also put me on hold for a couple of minuts. I called Geico direct, I hope your right

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm... I just called Geico directly, and the guy I talked to said "sure we can insure that - let me connect you with the appropriate agent in our collector car group". The phone then went to a voicemail for American Collectors Insurance, who don't answer the phone after business hours.... Apparently, Geico is partnered with them now. Anyone know if those guys are worth doing business with? When I talked to the agent originally, I thought Geico was providing the insurance. Might be a false alarm...

EDIT: Called Geico back, and they told me to go to the AmericanCollectors.com website and fill in the form to see if my GTS qualifies. They said to make sure I specified "Exotic or Special Interest" when asked what kind of car it is. I went through the process, and got a quote for a little more than what the Geico agent quoted me: $739.95 (compared to about $700 directly through Geico). Here's the quote (sorry the formatting *****):

Collector Vehicle Premium Quote

Collector Vehicles TypeYearMakeModelRequested ValueAnnual
Mileage1. Original 1997 Dodge Viper $60,000 2500
Selected Coverages Coverage (Limit) [Deductible]1997 DodgeBodily Injury/Property Damage (100,000)$22.40Medical Payments (1,000)$.00UM/UIM Bodily Injury (100,000)$25.00Liability Total$47.40Comprehensive[$1000 Ded] $336.00Collision[$1000 Ded] $345.60Towing and Labor for Collectors (TLC) Plan - Silver $9.95Spare Parts ($500)IncludedGood Driver Discount 20.00%IncludedVehicle Total$738.95Annual Premium: $738.95Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge: $1.00Total: $739.95
Explanation of State Surcharge: "Theft Prevention Authority" (T.P.A.) fee: An annual fee of $1.00 (per qualifying vehicle) is collected on behalf of the state. The dollar goes to the state and helps fund auto theft prevention grants. The name of the fund varies by state, but the states that currently collect a T.P.A fee are: AZ, CA, CO, IL, MI, MN, RI & TX. Any change to information entered may result in a change in premium or eligibility for American Collectors Insurance product.

Last edited:

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i have insurance with american collectors 1996 viper gts $50,000 for $810 a year only problem is you pay one time a year

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did another quote on my 2009 ACR to see what the cost on that one would be. Still not too bad...

Collector Vehicle Premium Quote

Collector Vehicles TypeYearMakeModelRequested ValueAnnual
Mileage
1. Original 2009 Dodge Viper $110,000 2500
Selected Coverages Coverage (Limit) [Deductible]2009 DodgeBodily Injury/Property Damage (100,000)$22.40Medical Payments (1,000)$.00UM/UIM Bodily Injury (100,000)$25.00Liability Total$47.40Comprehensive[$1000 Ded] $560.00Collision[$1000 Ded] $576.00Towing and Labor for Collectors (TLC) Plan - Silver $9.95Spare Parts ($500)IncludedGood Driver Discount 20.00%IncludedVehicle Total$1193.35Annual Premium: $1193.35Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge: $1.00Total: $1194.35
Explanation of State Surcharge: "Theft Prevention Authority" (T.P.A.) fee: An annual fee of $1.00 (per qualifying vehicle) is collected on behalf of the state. The dollar goes to the state and helps fund auto theft prevention grants. The name of the fund varies by state, but the states that currently collect a T.P.A fee are: AZ, CA, CO, IL, MI, MN, RI & TX. Any change to information entered may result in a change in premium or eligibility for American Collectors Insurance product.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently switched my collector cars to Grundy. I did some internet searching and found about Eugene Scott at Alternate Insurance Solutions. A serious car guy who searched all his available companies to get me the best rate.

I am more than pleased with his services and highly recommend Eugene.

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mileage restriction. No track restriction. However must not be a daily driver or used for racing as in a timed event. Be careful of what you buy into. Even state farm will give you collector car insurance. HOWEVER your car is only to be used for car shows preferably on a trailer! Just saying. You have a lot ******* in your car and it gets trashed by someone or yourself and most insurance companies will total it and give you peanuts instead of rebuilding it. GTS Bruce

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just switched all 6 of my cars from american collectors to Hagerty. They were giving me big balls when I bought the GT 2 weeks ago. Something about someone having to come out and see my storage area before they could insure it. I said come on out, they said how about 2 weeks. I said. See Ya, its been fun for 5 years. End of story, Great Agent, and great price on the whole fleet. Only one thats not happy=American Collectors.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had car prof appraised. Pictures taken. Insured for $85,000 which is close to what I have in it. Cost is $1223.00 per year. GTS Bruce ;)

Does anyone know how I would go about this? Just give Grundy/Hagerty a call? I asked my insurance and they didn't know anything about me being able to get a higher appraisal for my car. I would like to get around $70,000. What is the best place to call? Does you're location matter at all?

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have mine insured for $85k as well. No appraisal needed :cool:
I thought it was $1224/ yr. You got me by a buck :D

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also use Grundy. I used to have Haggerty for about two years but for same agreed value Grundy is cheaper, have it ever since...

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Florida is one of the most expenise in the country. I just switched last week from Allstate to AMICA. JDPowers rated #1, last 10 years. Saved about $1400 year on the Viper and the GC SRT.

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call grundy. They will talk to you and send the paperwork. They want a couple of pictures. copy of title or registration. I got the appraisal for my safety and sent them a copy. The appraisal details the condition inside,outside,#'s mileage,mods. Its all doccumented. GTS Bruce

Last edited:

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grundy here for $65000 for $900 per year not driven to work and no one under the age of 26 can drive it.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, are you 100% sure on the no track restiction thing??? I know reps from other companys have told me no problem, but when I read the fine print, the car would not be covered, even for non-timed events.

I have a track car that I would be interested in insuring (non-timed) and this might be the way to go...

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sneaky. No One in their right mind will insure you ON a track. Nor would I expect to be insured on a track by Grundy or anyone else. What happens on a track is your own problem. I would never make a track claim. I'm worried about road BOZOS or a complete brain fart on my part while ON THE ROAD. Forget about being insured on the track. Accept the fact that you are on your own on a track,racing, or just enjoying the drive with nothing to prove. Enjoy the drive and take responsibility for your decision to be there. GTS Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX