Got ticket for tinted window

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Urhuckleberry-Merry Christmas and Happy Tasering.

AFL in NJ- The Glorified Hall monitors was some funny sh*t. Now I understand where the gold star comes from.

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a keystone cop can decide if your tint is to dark just in his opinion and write a ticket or do all the cops carry a gauge to judge if the tint is within legal limits?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really wanted to respond to this statement, but my "Little mind" kept me from saying what I really wanted to say...pure ignorance. :slap:

In Florida you can not drive without tinted windows so here it is the norm. It is a shame but most cops are just rejects who will never earn a good living. I guess that somehow makes up for their shortcomings in their little minds. After all did you ever see an intelligent person say I want to be a cop instead of a doctor or lawyer.

The safety part is such bull****.

It's not ignorance, just plain old stupidity with a dash of elitism.
What a *****.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago I had a Toyota Supra and was coming home late. I got pulled over and the cops got out and one of them told me the reason they were pulling me over was my tinted windows. He also went on to say that his wife liked my car. Looking back, he probably wanted to see who I was in case his wife got a little too interested in my car.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. We should only allow the police force to enforce laws that involve felony crimes.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. We should only allow the police force to enforce laws that involve felony crimes.

I don't understand this logic, cops are the wrong target.

Laws are passed by legislators and cops are tasked to enforce them.
If you thing that a law is stupid, go after the legislators, not the cops

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a buddy that bought a half a million dollar class A motorhome and registered it in montana under his new LLC.. :) worked like a charm:)

Also the law with the tint is very similar to the helmet law. If you drive thru a state with a helmet law requirement, you have to put a helmet on no matter what state ur from or where you bike is registered. So if you drive thru a state with a different tint law than ur own state, ur risking a ticket, but I would think that the cop wouldnt give u a hard time knowing ur from another state without a tint law.

Also I had 20% on most of my cars and had several tickets issued, ***** but ill take my chance because it looks that much better:)
Driving at night with 20% tint is MUCH harder to see headlight glare, for example sitting at a top of a hill turning right and not being able to see if there is a car coming up the hill on your left until its right at your door.....lol I had a girlfriend that lived on a street just like this and would have to roll the window down every time at night.

Also Ohio law is 50% for side windows, but from the factory I think most windows have 7% in them or 93% which ever way u want to look at it. so if you put your legal 50% on u may very well be breaking the law with 57% tint!

Now the front plate law is the JUST THE WORST law ever!! Has never made any sense to me, so ill take my chances on that, 4 cars... 2 with front plates and 2 without

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In Ct., negligent homicide with a motor vehicle is a misdemeanor. Should we let that slide?

I don't understand this logic, cops are the wrong target.

Laws are passed by legislators and cops are tasked to enforce them.
If you think that a law is stupid, go after the legislators, not the cops

My post was meant to be what is typically classified as sarcasm.

luc, Your post is direct and to the point. Your thoughts are exactly what I was getting at; but, I was attemting to show some other folks that posted previously what their thought process actually meant in real life. Perhaps a stupid attempt to be clever on my part.

If we want laws that may not be used as a premise for stopping and questioning people; or, we don't want them to be a law at all, then we must enact legislation that defines which laws those are. If we don't want a law, we must work to get it repealed and not just whine about it to our buddies. (although it is entertaining) I suspect none of the people who do not agree with the window tint law have done anything substantial to try to get it repealed.

I am like most. I don't like some laws; but, I don't whine about them because I am not going to take any active part in trying to get them repealed.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My post was meant to be what is typically classified as sarcasm.

luc, Your post is direct and to the point. Your thoughts are exactly what I was getting at; but, I was attemting to show some other folks that posted previously what their thought process actually meant in real life. Perhaps a stupid attempt to be clever on my part.

If we want laws that may not be used as a premise for stopping and questioning people; or, we don't want them to be a law at all, then we must enact legislation that defines which laws those are. If we don't want a law, we must work to get it repealed and not just whine about it to our buddies. (although it is entertaining) I suspect none of the people who do not agree with the window tint law have done anything substantial to try to get it repealed.

I am like most. I don't like some laws; but, I don't whine about them because I am not going to take any active part in trying to get them repealed.
Well put!

I regards to the post ref: gauges to detect level of tint...simply not used in Calif. The law is clear, no tint on driver's side window or adjacent passenger window. I don't necessarily agree with it, but not my place...when I was assigned to a traffic detail, I enforced the laws tasked upon me. With that being said, I have never cited a person for a tinted window violation.

RichieSRT10...no hard feelings. Merry Christmas to you too and Happy Driving!

I will say that most everyone has a story about a negative contact with law enforcement..(I have some too!) I always find it amusing at a family gathering or hanging out with my friends how they think I want to hear about the officer that stopped them and was a **** to them...the officer may very well have been, but most of the time the attitude went both ways. I always tel my troops to not take what people say personal during a contact with the public. Many times they are voicing their frustration...have not met too many people happy to receive a "Coupon." Thats why I always hated working a traffic detail.

As far as the law goes in CA, the primary reason is for driver safety...we as vehicle operators base a lot of the decisions we make while driving on how we perceive actions from other vehicle operators, ie. at a 4 way intersection controlled by stop signs or flashing lights. Many do not know that...and some may not agree with it. The other is certainly officer safety. It is very unnerving approaching a vehicle and not being able to see the occupants. I have had more than one traffic stop turn into a shootout and every advantage we can gain over these individuals is key to us going home at night...(Because that is in every officer's mind, going home at the end of their shift.) Not every stop turns out that bad, in fact, very few do, but its one of the scariest moments anyone can be faced with.

A side note...fortunately I work a different type of assignment now, but when I stopped vehicles in the past and they did have tinted windows, the simple act of the driver rolling them down and or turning on dome light told me they were not a threat (I didn't let guard down) but it showed me they were concerned with my perceptions of them and officer safety in mind and 9 times out of 10, they drove away with a "Drive safely" and a warning. That can't always be expected though and certainly not from a traffic cop. Their sole purpose is to write tickets..no quotas like some might think and that's no BS. But the traffic sergeant will be a little upset if his traffic officers come back at the end of their shift with a stack of nothing! Traffic cites do reduce the number of accidents...fact. Tinted window cites don't, but that is not always the primary reason for pulling someone over. I don't want to beat this horse anymore. If I provided some insight, then great.

I hope to meet some of you guys out there...not while I'm working though! hahaha...unless it's just me stopping you to let you know you have one sweet ride! I have done that before!

We just picked up an '02 RT/10 Yellow and look forward to enjoying our love of these cars with other enthusiasts. Looking into joining So Cal region...didn't see any events on the calendar, but until then we are up for a drive with others...PM me

J

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Urhuckleberry , you sound like one of the nice cops just doing their job.My friend is a retired LEO who would say the same things you've posted .Unfortunately , according to him , a good number of his fellow officers are thriving on giving grief to motorists and quite enjoying it.With all the pressures from the government it had implied new laws recently ,there's no mercy on the roads for most minor violations.
Forget about warnings of any kind.He said they don't give him a time of day when he drops by the station to say Hi ,they sort of seem misarable.The atmosphere in BC is not the best right now with way too many misconduct by the police and RCMP.I'm walking on eggshells every time out driving my Viper and totally relaxed getting back in my Navigator knowing that I'm not a target anymore;):D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate tinted windows. I like to be able to see if the idiot in the other car is paying attention or not, especially nowadays with all these boneheads driving along yacking on their phones. And I want them to see that I see them.

Besides, the main reason people have tinted windows is so they can pick their nose without getting caught. I never shake hands with people who just got out of a car with tinted windows.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I has a Hwy Patrol in Sanora, TX (look that up on a map - real thriving metropolis) swing a Tokyo Drift style u-turn thru a 1/4 mile wide I-10 median to chase down me & my wife in the Vipers. His probably cause was "no front plate". He was correct, we were both guilty - $190 x2. Then on my Lemke glass windows on the RT he said "those look too dark". Went to his cruiser and got his little contraption (not exaggerating) threw it on my window and after it ran it's 3-5 second test said "You're ok" (35% on front windows in TX).

Since I knew why we were pulled over and the extent of the damage (tickets) he was going to do then I employed words of a traffic attorney in Seattle, WA (successful one) - "There's no law against being an a$$hole".

So I got out of my car and started looking over my window. he asked "what are you doing out of your vehicle". I said I was looking for damage from your wanton disregard for my property when during your window tint test. He said "I didn't damage your window" - I said I hope not, they are $1250 each only available in pairs. Then I asked why he "really" pulled us over. He maintained "no front plates". I said for a gentleman in his 60's wearing corrective vision on an overcast day you have phenomenal eye sight at over 1/2 mile with combined closing speeds at 170mph (85 mph out there) to determine that this was a TX registered vehicle to which the no front plate would even apply - especially since you turned into the median at least 1/4 mile in front of me.

How was it exactly that you knew this was a TX registered which, for the violations you issued, you conjured up your "probable cause"?

He simply said "experience, son".

..."And a firm security of acting above the law when it suits your quota" I said.

He, while handing me the clipboard, said "I'm sure you know what to do with this". I said "yes I do, thank you. Officer, how soon before we can do this electronically by texting or calling-in. My time is worth more than this fine. I'll remember this when the TSTA calls for donations this year"

So long as you all remember the LEAs are primarily a source of revenue for government agencies then it all makes since.

"To collect & serve (the government)" is their motto, don't forget. Those of you who know me understand my position and the fact that I did/will do exactly as I say. If you operate outside of the law - be prepared to pay the TAX (it's not a fine - no matter how they want to sugar coat it).

Next they will be mandating and issuing fines if you don't paint the walls inside your house a color that generates calm/docile feelings within - for their safety. Just in case your blood red walls enrage you before you enter the roadway. This will also generate mandatory & unscheduled "audits" of the inside of your home to verify compliance - probable cause will be that you exited your driveway a tad bit aggressively (maybe you were late to work) and now they have PC. It's not illegal searches (and seizures) - it's for the officer's safety.

....as we all sit by and watch our civil right decimated.

Time for another drink - Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....as we all sit by and watch our civil right decimated.

They've been decimated for decades. The tumor grows slowly and before you know it you've been living, or dying with it for years.

Vote Tea Party or Libertarian in 2012 but don't vote Democrat or Republican.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if someone is nuts enough to pull a gun on a cop it doesn't matter if he's driving a convertible because the cop is not going to see the gun on his chest until he's right beside him. I also don't believe someone this crazy is going to be out driving around in a Viper either, and if its stolen then the plate # would come back as such.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Urhuckleberry , you sound like one of the nice cops just doing their job.My friend is a retired LEO who would say the same things you've posted .Unfortunately , according to him , a good number of his fellow officers are thriving on giving grief to motorists and quite enjoying it.With all the pressures from the government it had implied new laws recently ,there's no mercy on the roads for most minor violations.
Forget about warnings of any kind.He said they don't give him a time of day when he drops by the station to say Hi ,they sort of seem misarable.The atmosphere in BC is not the best right now with way too many misconduct by the police and RCMP.I'm walking on eggshells every time out driving my Viper and totally relaxed getting back in my Navigator knowing that I'm not a target anymore;):D

That doesn't sound like much fun...good luck out there...:drive:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides, the main reason people have tinted windows is so they can pick their nose without getting caught. I never shake hands with people who just got out of a car with tinted windows.

I swear sometimes it's like they think no one can see them when they're inside their cars tinted windows or not. :crazy2:

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did some research, as Urhuckleberry mentioned (thanks for being good cop) in CA we cannot have any shade attached to driver and passenger side windows, so cop does not need to measure how dark window tint is, hence whatever BS you heard from tint shop that 75% shading legal in reality BS. If cop wants to give you ticket for tinted windows he'll give you a ticket for the 75% shade just as well.
I also read on the net that I can stop by the doctor and get a "note" which would state that due to the skin damage that I get from the sun driving this car I need to have this protection. However, I am not very sure if this thing will work with local cop who has a vendetta with me.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car on the road has blacked out windows in Korea. No one dies from them... sure they drive like they are blind but even without tinted windows they **** at driving.

You are legally able to tint rear windows so how does that help a cop see in? You are supposed to have your side window down when they approach. None of what you guys say for safety of police makes any sense. When has a police officer approached form the front of your vehicle? Even without tinted windows you could have a gun waiting in your lap and blast him in the face.

All this talk "makes sense" but honestly it just provides a false sense of security.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These posts are always fun for me because the complainers always completely miss the point and it devolves into a "Bash your local cop" forum.

This is directed at California residents but applies to the entire USA:

YOU voted in the Stupid SOB's in Congress & the Legislature who pen those laws which give so much grief!

Vote OUT the Stupid SOBs, Vote IN people with common sense who can run the state and maintain Codes (Penal, Vehicle, whatever) worth a Damn.

Cops are people. Most are good, a few are bad. Thank God for the good ones because they keep your tired wool growing **** separated from all the creatures that would just LOVE to SkullFock you and your family for nothing more than the pure enjoyment of it.

I use the tint law to stop the cars carrying these POSs so I can meet them and you dont have to.

**** it up. You drive a Viper and live in California. Billions of people would trade lives with you in a heartbeat.
:2tu:
:usa::usa::usa:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the tint law to stop the cars carrying these POSs so I can meet them and you dont have to.

**** it up. You drive a Viper and live in California. Billions of people would trade lives with you in a heartbeat.

Well said :headbang::headbang::headbang: but I still don't like being told what I can and can't do to my car :)

Last edited:

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tinted windows...one of those things. Makes a lot of cars look a lot better. More elegant and it brings your attention to the lines of the car since it doesnt get interupted by what you can see inside the car or whats even on the other side as you see through it. I sure like it and think it makes our Vipers look even more aggressive and powerful.

The fact that cops have a problem with it seems like just another thing to 'take control' of our personal lives. 1984....here we come. They need to see what we are doing behind closed doors so that they can intervene and make sure we are in fact doing what big brother tells us to do.

To me, when a cop signs up to become one, he or she realizes that they will have to accept a certain risk in their work. This is not about being a security guard or 'mall cop'. They are in fact accepting that they will be faced with situations that may be aggressive in nature. They may be surprised but they are also (supposed to be) trained to deal with these situations as they unfold. This is their Job and they are getting Paid to do this. If you dont like the job description....get another job.

Much like a person that chooses to sign up with the military, they accept the fact that they may be in combat one day and when those bullets start flying they just have to deal with it....and they do.

I am sure that many cops would prefer to just sit at some place where they can pull people over all day long for very minor infractions...so that they can in fact get their quota filled and look good in front of their superiors having 'stopped us hardened criminals in our tracks, preventing us from braking the laws of the road, all day long'

I say, get a grip. Start doing something a bit more constructive. Something that will make a difference for us tax paying citizens. Catch the bad guys (and girls). Get some drug dealers, rapists, child molesters, criminals that are out there to inflict pain on all of us if they get a chance....spend some more time and energy to get rid of the ****. The more time spent on trying to control 95% of the population that really arent doing much wrong, the less is left to effectively take care of the 5% that should be focused on.

Tinted windows.....give me the option to have some if I choose to.....as dark as I want it to make me happy.

Just my take

Matt

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if someone is nuts enough to pull a gun on a cop it doesn't matter if he's driving a convertible because the cop is not going to see the gun on his chest until he's right beside him. I also don't believe someone this crazy is going to be out driving around in a Viper either, and if its stolen then the plate # would come back as such.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but you are dead wrong on the second part (No pun intended!) in the fact that, not all violent offenders are the stereo typical gang members that drive around in a stolen car. In fact, since this topic turned this way, I will educate the laymen...many deadly encounters involve ordinary people that for one reason or another fly off the deep end and do something irrational because they feel they would be much better off if they took that one last drastic step to end it all, maybe because of a prior bad decision. They have gotten themselves into a situation they feel the only way out is to shoot it out...I have lost several of my colleagues in this manner and have been involved in a few myself. Not bragging and certainly not proud of what happened...it just happens...its the crazy world we live...fortunately we have the road and track to keep some of us sane! Well sort of...;)

As far as stolen cars go...let's say your car is stolen during the middle of the night....the crook may be driving around in it for several hours before you, the registered owner, realizes it is missing and then finally reports it. Well, let's say a cop tries to initiate a traffic stop for a "BS" stop, as many have labeled the original topic of discussion, before the vehicle has been reported...well, the stolen info is not in the system. (So much for your assumption). Vehicle comes back clear and current and all along, there is some criminal waiting to take your life. My best friend was shot conducting a traffic stop of a vehicle that was merely wanted initially for expired registration. I have seen many classify that as a BS stop. I have stopped many people for tinted windows (Never cited anyone), but I have arrested people wanted for ****** based solely on a stop for tinted windows.

So for everyone of you that have received a ticket for some BS violation...I want to offer my sincere apology for your inconvenience. I have been cited too people...it happens. Funny how it always seems to be the cop's fault someone violated a law! Cops don't make the laws people...as someone early pointed out...the legislators do. If you don't like it...then do something about it other than just whining on a forum about the love of driving and owner a Viper. Dang, thats what I thought this club was about...

I completely agree with everyone having their opinions and individual feelings and am for the most part sympathetic, but sometimes, something needs to be said.

Sorry, not sure how officer safety came into Viper forum, but it's difficult to sit back sometimes and watch armchair quarterbacks talk about something they have no clue about. I get that at work! (Not meant in a condescending manner, just telling it like it is). But when someone on this forum states cops are rejects, have little minds and will never make a good living...I made a good living before I owned a Viper; it's called a beautiful family...(Many in here said nothing until I said something...I'm believe that is partially because many chose to ignore his ignorance), but when people make those comments in a place I frequent, this "Reject" is going to speak up. This "Reject" has also taken several bullets for a person he didn't know, but am damn happy I did, because that hostage is now one of my very good friends...so sorry if I take it personal. If you don't like it..stay off the road or do something about the "BS" traffic laws so my deputies can focus on more important things.

BTW, traffic laws are in-acted for a reason...many don't like them, but then again, that leads back to the "Do something about it" post.

Fellow members, no intention on offending anyone, but if I did, well, I guess I will have to live with it. Wouldn't be the first time someone was upset with me. If you are offended, then you have misunderstood me, and again, my apologies.

And KERS-VPR, this wasn't directed solely at you and I believe your post was in noway a negative attack on L.E. The ignorance from some was killing me.

I think I have said way more than needed...I'm going to go for a drive in the snake.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These posts are always fun for me because the complainers always completely miss the point and it devolves into a "Bash your local cop" forum.

This is directed at California residents but applies to the entire USA:

YOU voted in the Stupid SOB's in Congress & the Legislature who pen those laws which give so much grief!

Vote OUT the Stupid SOBs, Vote IN people with common sense who can run the state and maintain Codes (Penal, Vehicle, whatever) worth a Damn.

Cops are people. Most are good, a few are bad. Thank God for the good ones because they keep your tired wool growing **** separated from all the creatures that would just LOVE to SkullFock you and your family for nothing more than the pure enjoyment of it.

Well put my friend!!

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tinted windows...one of those things. Makes a lot of cars look a lot better. More elegant and it brings your attention to the lines of the car since it doesnt get interupted by what you can see inside the car or whats even on the other side as you see through it. I sure like it and think it makes our Vipers look even more aggressive and powerful.

The fact that cops have a problem with it seems like just another thing to 'take control' of our personal lives. 1984....here we come. They need to see what we are doing behind closed doors so that they can intervene and make sure we are in fact doing what big brother tells us to do.

To me, when a cop signs up to become one, he or she realizes that they will have to accept a certain risk in their work. This is not about being a security guard or 'mall cop'. They are in fact accepting that they will be faced with situations that may be aggressive in nature. They may be surprised but they are also (supposed to be) trained to deal with these situations as they unfold. This is their Job and they are getting Paid to do this. If you dont like the job description....get another job.

Much like a person that chooses to sign up with the military, they accept the fact that they may be in combat one day and when those bullets start flying they just have to deal with it....and they do.

I am sure that many cops would prefer to just sit at some place where they can pull people over all day long for very minor infractions...so that they can in fact get their quota filled and look good in front of their superiors having 'stopped us hardened criminals in our tracks, preventing us from braking the laws of the road, all day long'

I say, get a grip. Start doing something a bit more constructive. Something that will make a difference for us tax paying citizens. Catch the bad guys (and girls). Get some drug dealers, rapists, child molesters, criminals that are out there to inflict pain on all of us if they get a chance....spend some more time and energy to get rid of the ****. The more time spent on trying to control 95% of the population that really arent doing much wrong, the less is left to effectively take care of the 5% that should be focused on.

Tinted windows.....give me the option to have some if I choose to.....as dark as I want it to make me happy.

Just my take

Matt

Cops are not paid to take a bullet for your sorry butt...not in job description...but rest assured, when the bullets start flying my troops run towards the gun fire while you run away!

How about we just leave the idiots to the road and fend for themselves...how about when your kid is run over...thats traffic related??? We have traffic divisions...the jurisdictions demand it...honestly, I could care less about traffic...I don't work it anymore. But when someone is speeding in a school zone, who do you think they call? The laws are enacted for a reason...get a freaking grip people and grow up.

And get your facts straight...we deal with 1% of the population 99% of the time...how about drunk driving??? Thats traffic related...look at the fool that received 51 years-life for murdering the Angels pitcher and his friends...that started out as traffic related.

The scary part, is many people who think that way, sit on a jury panel. It's amazing the Deputy D.A.'s can put anyone behind bars after I do my investigation.

I say let all the criminals go...fend for yourselves people...you think it's crazy out there now! That is sarcasm...I really don't believe that! LOL

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Matt

Get a grip! Cops don't have a problem with it...once again, you didn't read earlier posts or pay attention in school...Cops don't make the laws...that class is over. But to enlighten you, we can give a rats what you want to do in the privacy of your car...invasion of privacy my butt...some of the statements are just pathetic....maybe we should debate the 4th amendment right to unlawful search and seizure and how it applies to the operating of a motor vehicle. You need tinted windows to hide something in your vehicle? come on! I would hope you were smarter than that! Believe me, big brother isn't watching what you are doing...and right now, we could care less what you are doing behind your closed doors. HAHAHA...ya, all of us cops are sitting here plotting how we are going to get into your vehicle. Believe me, if I want into your vehicle, there are laws that will allow me into your vehicle...always a way into your vehicle.

Quit freaking whining people...if you want tinted windows, get tinted windows. If it's illegal in your state...well, that's a gamble I'm sure we can all afford....$50-100 for window tint...if you get a ticket, peel the crap off, have it signed off and then do what every other person out there does and put it back on...the only difference is they don't cry about it like some in here. Shoot, a tank of gas costs more than it does to tint the windows! Why isn't that being discussed? Let's bash the cops....

Like my father always said, "Some would ***** if they were hung with a new rope!"

I thought this was a Viper forum...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang