Got towed today.....(long)

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that no one on here has had the experience that I went through today. It started out nice, a run to the printers, then the UPS, and then it happened...

I was stopped at a light and the car just "bogged down" and I didn't even hit the gas or anything, it did it itself. I quickly turned the key to the off position and tried to start the car....no hissing from the fuel pump, at this point, so I feared the worst!

No luck starting the car. After 3 light cycles, and people saying things like....nice piece of s%$t, that's a nice hunk of crap, should have bought a FORD, and various other comments, i called AAA. A cop then flashed his sirens and lights on...like you couldn't see me enough at a busy intersection, and the officer helped me push the car. It had a slight downhill roll at first, and then a small uphill battle. We did pick up enough speed to get it going, but !%^#)&%@$&& the car is heavy! I almost passed out form the ordeal. The cop left and later 3 other people and 2 more cops showed up while I was waiting for AAA. I called JonB for a really quick diagnose and I memorized it.

AAA arrives, and the guy totally goes into head-on traffic to get behind my car and pick it up from the rear. He was missing a piece of wood for clearance and so he called his friend. He shows up 2 mins later with lights flashing and all. They got the car on without even scraping anything. They were awesome! I got the car to my house which was 2 miles away, and they droped the car there. I tipped them well and they left...I got to work. I ripped open my Viper manuals and began scanning. I though it may be the pump, but it scared the crap out of me when I saw what I needed to do to change the pump. So i started by checking the obvious, battery lines and cables...all good. Moved to the fuel pump relay in the trunk, and replaced it with and old one I had around. The hiss is back! The car started and I turned it off. I put the old relay back in, and no hiss to be heard. So I put the new one on and it ran.

Needless to say that I had to clean the injectors, so I repaved our driveway with rubber, Gerald will be the first to see this when he stops by.

So should this be it? Should I expect the pump to go bad? Tomorrow I'm going to the dealership and I'll order 3 relay and keep them in the car. It was the most embarassing thing in the world! I would rather have stood there with my pants around my ankles and not the car being down.

I hope all is well now. Thanks JonB for helping me out in the middle of the road too!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vip-RT10:
It was the most embarassing thing in the world! I would rather have stood there with my pants around my ankles and not the car being down.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's so embarassing about that?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man! Antonio..still having problems with it not starting. Do you think it has to still do with the aftermarket install on your A/C? Is it burning up relays or overloading something? Good luck!

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened with my '99 GTS. I only had 1500 miles on it and had traveled to a nearby town to show my new baby to a friend. I pulled over (off of a VERY busy road) to let my friend drive a bit. It was a saturday evening and the road was teeming with people btw. He went to start the car and it refused. After numerous tries, we called Dodge roadside. Of course, as we waited, we got MANY heckles from the road going peanut gallery. "Nice car, loser" and such! The worst was when some hotties pulled up and gave us the sympathetic look as they drove off in their sugar daddies **** mercedes ride. I waited in the convenience store while the tow truck loaded it up. My friend supervised. When we got to the dealer, he was closed of course, so we went out in my friends truck. My car was taken care of by monday afternoon - they just replaced the fuel pump.
Very embarrassing.
pissed.gif

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with it, hope you've got the problem solved.

(BTW Adam, your avatar is a much more photogenic look of the wing than the first pics you showed.)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
is it common for th fuel pumps to go out? What are the symtoms of the fuel pump going out?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam,
first sign is car turns Silver color. Then grows a large wing on the back. The more platforms the wing has, the sooner the fuel pump will go out..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OP
OP
V

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intemperate Disposition...yes, still have the F50

ffoote.....the part # for it is the same as the P/N as a 89,90,91 caravan minivan, and it costs way less. I'll give you the P/N for the fuel pump relay when it gets in tomorrow. It cost $32!!! So far the rigging works.

Acatala7 and Gary Lamont....e sempre cosi, quando uno ha fretta e deve andare via. Un branco di cretini per le strada. Che bello, qualcuno parla Italiano!

Adam...symtoms are...works or it doesn't...the car is fine now, but I wasn't running the A/C when it happened.

getbit....did the dealership even try to see if it was the relay? How much was the fix to the car? If you know.

Gerald...you always bust Adam...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As always, JonB was right there to help me in the time of need. I can't stress enough, he'll do the best he can to give info and find parts for his loyal customers, and I wouldn't go to anyone else.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
--Wings casue fuel pump overload....now THAT'S FUNNY !

--Not frequent, but not RARE.

--"JonB's Rule Of Spares": Carry a spare anything...never need it!

--Glad to Help, Antonio, Thanks for the kind words

--Same thing happened to me at Sebring '97, in the FIA-GT Pace Car! FIA had to take it O/S to use a SEBRING Convertible....I fixed the 96 RT so I could use that instead........short story in ViperMag back then... FIA chief was VERY happy and let me drive Sebring, and 2 weeks later he provided a couple laps at Laguna (Toyota) at the final 97 event.... VIPER WON Driver/Mftr '97

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anotonio, it's okay for Gerald the gorrilla on a tricycle to bust me..I give it back to him just as much. Ha! ha!

So, JonB..you didn't tell me when I bought my wing from you that it would make my fuel pump go out? What's up with that?

Gerald! When you going to call me??

OP
OP
V

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ffoote.....the p/n is 4557538 that is a valid number for 3 of the 5 relays in the car. DON"T LET THEM TELL YOU OTHERWIZE!!! I paid a whoping $15 for the fuel pump relay. Then I dordered a replacement starter relay and that cost $32! It cost so much because it came with a bracket and 2 relays (just like you find them underneath your heater core in you engine bay. If you can, JonB suggested to find the same relay for a Caravan '89,90,91, and it should cost about $10. I suggest that you keep one in the car with you....just in case you don't end up like me. The fuel pump relay is located inside your trunk, on the right (if it's an RT). Live and learn.....