gps timer for lap times?

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why GPS instead of Laser type system? Do the benefits of a GPS system outweigh the cost difference?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no experience with laser type systems but I believe the advantage to GPS systems is they don't require anything to be setup external to the vehicle. It's all self contained and you can easily move it from one vehicle to another. The G2X will automatically create a trackmap from the data it collects and you can set the start/finish line anywhere on the map. It also logs lateral g-forces as well as braking and acceleration g-forces. It will also display your real time GPS speed on the "dash" as well as lap times, lap time differences, engine rpms, etc. It also has a progressive shift light that you can program to come on at any rpm and rpm interval you choose. It's more than just a simple lap timer.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no experience with laser type systems but I believe the advantage to GPS systems is they don't require anything to be setup external to the vehicle. It's all self contained and you can easily move it from one vehicle to another. The G2X will automatically create a trackmap from the data it collects and you can set the start/finish line anywhere on the map. It also logs lateral g-forces as well as braking and acceleration g-forces. It will also display your real time GPS speed on the "dash" as well as lap times, lap time differences, engine rpms, etc. It also has a progressive shift light that you can program to come on at any rpm and rpm interval you choose. It's more than just a simple lap timer.

How did you hook it up to get the RPM info?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you hook it up to get the RPM info?

Gray connector on the PCM (farthest to the right) has a gray wire with a blue tracer. This is the signal going to the tach. I simply tapped into it. Then you program the G2X for whatever number of pulses per revolution and your done. Interesting to note that the factory tach still works.

DSC01205.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why GPS instead of Laser type system? Do the benefits of a GPS system outweigh the cost difference?

I like that you have nothing outside to set up. All you have is the GPS unit in the car. It also gives you much more info as stated above. You can not only do complete lap times but also segment the track to see how you do through a certain section or corner etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery