Grinding Noise any thoughts

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another noise thread I know but I need some opinions please. The noise is off axis or not constant rotational. It is coming from the front passenger side of the car and I first thought it was due a pad dragging.

It can be heard with the windows down while driving and is very prevalent while driving next to something, IE concrete divider. Low speeds will allow you to hear the sound in the car. You cannot feel it in the drive train, no shakes or vibrations. It is speed dependant and again not constant so faster at higher speeds and vice versa. I have jacked the car up and cannot get the noise to occur from any of the four wheels while spinning them. Doesn’t happen when in neutral through engine throttling.

I checked for obvious rubbing and found nothing. Pulled the wheels and checked all pads, nothing. What sound would a bearing make and what is the best way to diagnose this. I have no play in any of the wheels, side to side on jack stands that is. The noise at low speed sounds much like a rusty door hinge being opened/closed.

Anyone have any opinions on how to diagnose or where to start. Info 96 GTS 30k miles stock brake system other than EBC greens.

Thanks,

Chris

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it make the noise when the clutch is engaged and when its disengaged (trying to eliminate drivetrain and isolate wheels/suspension)?

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The noise is constant with the clutch engaged or not. It also doesnt change when the brakes are applied. I tried to give the brakes a firm stop and rule out pad drag, did'nt help. This is the issue and it only seems to be audible with weight on the car and standard driving.

Thanks,

Chris

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,bearing was another thought. Im reading the searches now on bearings and will get to work. Is that bearing/hub assembly off of a dakota as well?

Chris