Grr... had some brake problems, now I need a part.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I was driving home from work about a week ago :drive:and I was merging onto another highway but had to slow quickly:omg: AHHHHHHHHHHHH NO BRAKES, so I did what a normal Viper driver would do:cool: I downshifted and used the e-brake to stop from plowing into the car in front of me. NOT FUN. anyway I stopped and noticed my freaking left rear porterfield R4S brake pad was completely GONE!! I installed these brakes a while back (approx 1 yr) and I throughly inspect my work, well somehow the pad is gone. So i limped home on my one pad (only 2 miles or so) and pulled the wheel off, and yah :dunno: I have NO IDEA how it came off. All my bolts were tight, and nothing seemed unusual. So anyway thats a mystery, but I called porterfield and they said they would replace my whole set once I sent them back. in the mean time i'm trying to locate that METAL shim/brake silencer. It goes on the back side of the pads. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I called the dodge dealership here in po-dunk Belleville and the guy acted like he didn;t know what i was talking about, so i need some help from you experts. What is that piece called? Where should I get it from? I need it ASAP as I am supposed to be going with the Gateway VCA to a river rage game and a Rams cheerleader gets the pleasure of riding along with me into the stadium. Anyway i'm rambling because it's been a long day, any help ladies and gentlemen?

P.S. The damage was... a lost brake pad and shim, scratched inner wheel rim, and my drilled and slotted rotor is jacked up. not cool.

P.S.S. Sorry I haven;t been around lately, i'm swamped in work, working out, and school so I have little time anymore to do anything. So a quick hello to all my buddies in here :drive:

Thanks in advance..:2tu:

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what you are talking about but I do not know where to get them. I saw some aftermarket titanium "shims" for heat disapation on a brake web site months ago. Sorry I cant remember where. I will look as I want some for heat disapation also.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little unclear what you have done, but it sounds like you are replacing the defective pad with one that does not have an attached shim?If so, I think the shim serves mainly to stop brake squeal. If you want an interim solution until your new pads get sent back, just throw a little anti squeal compound on the rear of the pad to prevent sliding of the pad in the caliper and subsequent squealing. I think you would be fine to install without them however as I have changed pads in the past that had no attached shim.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Anti-rattle clip" I have a couple extra ones in my tool box. There yours, give me a call.

Did the pad come off the backing plate?

914-763-3136

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck THANKS!:2tu: I left you a message about the rattle clips. Do you also have a few extra pins? I can pay you for them just let me know. I am unsure if there is anything else missing but i'll go compair one side to the other. When I checked the whole entire pad was gone and the caliper was tight as can be. I did not see any signs of anything breaking, but i'll look again to see as I probably need new pins also. I have Tom Haydens 40mm rear caliper upgrade and so far everything worked great, so i need to look a little deeper as to why this happened. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, i can pay you the shipping costs also, could you let me know how much it is for say 2nd day air? I'm just trying to see if I can get this fixed by this saturdays game. Thanks again!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I just looked for this pin and cannot locate it on the other brakes either. Does anyone have an illistration or picture of this? Again this is for the REAR brake pad/caliper. Hmm i'm confused now...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There is one pin and one anti rattle on each rear caliper on YOUR Viper. If you are missing the pins that hold the pads in...you are in BIG trouble.

Who mounted Tom's calipers for you??

Feel free to call me if you think that I can help.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey! Good seeing you back and sorry to hear about your brakes. How's the house and job coming along?
Hey man, how are ya? The job is going good, and i'm also taking accelerated night school classes full time so i'm super busy all the time. Not to much time after I work, workout, and go to school every night, but it's nice to be home for good now. The house is coming along great, still some work to do here and there including the garage but all in due time.

Hmm anyone know where i can find a rear brake diagram?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me an address and when you need it there and I will send a pin and spring. I don't have a picture, but the pin enters via the outside facing side of the caliper body, passes through the loop in the brake pads, and the end rests in the caliper body. There is a split ball on the outside end that wedges into the hole - that's what keeps it in place. The anti-rattle spring ... well, when you see it you'll know it. You need one pin and one spring per side.

Edit:
Still at N. Penn Ave? I have your address. I'll send tomorrow (Thurs) arrive Fri, go to game Sat?
PM me to confirm, it bounces to my email so I'll get it right away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS so much guys. I really appreciate the help getting me back on the road. You guys rock!

Tom~ I sent you an e-mail, thanks again!

Chuck~ If I don;t pick up, just send me an e-mail or PM, thanks again.

I really appreciate everything. I owe you guys big time!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you have not serviced your Viper's brakes YOURSELF in the past...call your VCA President and ask him for the name of someone who knows his way around a Viper (such as a track rat, of which there are several) who, given your deadline, would be willing to stop by and help you...just a thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang