Grundy Insurance?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided to switch from my USAA auto policy to an agreed-value policy for my '01 RT/10. USAA utilizes American Collectors Insurance but they seem to cover collector vehicles at least 15 years old and my Viper doesn't qualify. I spoke with an agent for Grundy and I'm pleasantly suprised at the quote I received. Unlimited mileage, driving events (not races) are covered, $60K agreed value for $774 annual premium. This is much less than my standard auto policy from USAA.

For those of you who use or have used Grundy, what has your experience been with them?

Thanks,
- Tony

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've decided to switch from my USAA auto policy to an agreed-value policy for my '01 RT/10. USAA utilizes American Collectors Insurance but they seem to cover collector vehicles at least 15 years old and my Viper doesn't qualify. I spoke with an agent for Grundy and I'm pleasantly suprised at the quote I received. Unlimited mileage, driving events (not races) are covered, $60K agreed value for $774 annual premium. This is much less than my standard auto policy from USAA.

For those of you who use or have used Grundy, what has your experience been with them?

Thanks,
- Tony

Grundy is the way to go. I have an Insurance Agency, we just signed with them. I am going to switch my Viper over.:2tu:

ontilt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They will cover in Ca. My 02 ACR was quoted at 840 yr.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the limitations? I know you can't use it as a daily driver, but are there any other limitations?

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the limitations? I know you can't use it as a daily driver, but are there any other limitations?

No racing. It can be used for 'pleasure' if you consider daily driving 'pleasure', some here do. :) I think I had to show them I had another car registered in my name to cover my 'daily' driving. The only other limitation I see is that they will only cover uinsured/under-insured motorist coverage at the state minimums. My umbrella policy covers beyond that.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm into second year with them, can't use as a daily driver for work, not covered on a track, not covered as a vehicle used for errands-shopping. Guess they don't like unattended at a mall parking lot. Purely recreation-show-club events(non raceing). Miles don't matter. Fits into the way I use my Viper.:drive:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using Grundy but have never submitted a claim and hopefully I never have to so cannot say how they are to deal with.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not covered as a vehicle used for errands-shopping

I'm struggling to see where they cover anything in light of this. I drive my Viper once in a while, sometimes even to work if the weather is perfect. But, less than 1k miles a year, and not as a daily driver. Nearly every time I drive it, I stop somewhere for groceries, fuel, auto parts, etc.

I would be wary of this being used as an excuse to deny a claim.
Did you stop anywhere while you were driving?
Yes.
Well, did you buy anything?
Yes.
Then, you were shopping and / or on an errand.
No compensation for you.
Come back two years.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car was totaled by a service tech last March. Their ins. was Farmers and they said they could FIX my car for $23K. The car went over boulders, 261ft into the desert and hit a mesquite tree. Grundy looked at my car and totaled it on the spot! They subrogated (sp?) Farmers, and wrote me a check for the agreed value on my 94 RT-10 (S/C'd, custom paint, interior, wheels, NOS, Water/****, etc,) $60K. It was in the mail in 9 days! I now have an 05 Comm. Ed. S/C'd, Belangers, etc., etc. agreed value of $85K, $1,050 per year. It's a good company, I can attest to that by personal experience!

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old do you have to be to sign up? I'm currently paying $950 a year on my 97 gts and I'm 23. Doesn't grundry require the person to be 25?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both of mine with Grundy, agreed value of 60K on each and only pay $780.00 (on each) per year.
Geico wanted double that, with NO agreed value option.
Since most of us do only use it on weekends or occasionally, it was ideal for me.

viperv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes FatherFord Im pretty sure you must be 25 yrs or older. To get insurance through Grundy. I will be switching over in the spring of the yr for the Viper and Corvette. I called geico once and I hung up on em...... Wasnt about to pay for there STUPID commercials :usa:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was totaled by a service tech last March. Their ins. was Farmers and they said they could FIX my car for $23K. The car went over boulders, 261ft into the desert and hit a mesquite tree. Grundy looked at my car and totaled it on the spot! They subrogated (sp?) Farmers, and wrote me a check for the agreed value on my 94 RT-10 (S/C'd, custom paint, interior, wheels, NOS, Water/****, etc,) $60K. It was in the mail in 9 days! I now have an 05 Comm. Ed. S/C'd, Belangers, etc., etc. agreed value of $85K, $1,050 per year. It's a good company, I can attest to that by personal experience!
I am glad to hear this. Not what happened to your car, that *****, but the fact that they took care of you. :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your feedback. As soon as I get some paperwork from Grundy I will go through it and post any limitations not already mentioned here. I did spend quite a bit of time with the agent throwing different driving situations at her and the only 'No' I got on coverage was no racing events. I can have it on a track for driving instruction but not for racing. Needless to say, I will get this in writing.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good info. I've got three cars with USAA and my Viper coverage scares me give the value of the thing in my eyes vs. USAA. I'm going to check out Grundy and then bounce it off the USAA rep.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good info. I've got three cars with USAA and my Viper coverage scares me give the value of the thing in my eyes vs. USAA. I'm going to check out Grundy and then bounce it off the USAA rep.

USAA was useless on agreed-value coverage. Although, they've been great for everything else we use them for. When I inquired about an agreed-value coverage for the Viper they told me they offer collector car insurance through American Collectors Insurance. I talked to a rep there. He was useless. My Viper didn't qualify for collector car insurance and that I would need supervisor approval for an agreed-value (if it was eligible). I did send USAA my Grundy quote and they all but said to switch over. If you have a different experience with USAA, let us know.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have been pondering this and am quite interested in switching. I called Grundy and spoke w/ a rep briefly. She did ask if everyone driving the car is over 25 and if we both have other vehicles to use as a daily driver. She did say that the premium is to be paid in advance. I have been writing down some other questions as they come to me and I am going to call back to get them answered.

I just want to make sure it is a good switch for me. I don't want to feel like I am taking a risk on my insurance company if I go out to dinner and drive the viper and the unthinkable happens like a wreck or it gets stolen.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of switching my 98 Viper, 92 Vette
90 Ramcharger and 97 Mark VIII Lincoln to Grundy.

They will take the Viper and Vette automatically because they special interest cars.
The only hassle I am having is that they made me appraise the other two, they are not stock by any means and I feel worth more than the blue book.

We will see how it all works out, I have already saved a lot on the Viper and Vette.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed value is very comforting.
In fact....if my Red '98 were to suddenly meet an unfortunate demise I think the 60K check would help me recover faster in this time of grief...:2tu:
I'd recover right into a 06 Coupe....

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just completed the online quote for Grundy, and received a reply that cars under the age of 25 are not covered in the state of North Carolina. Whats up with that? Damn the bad luck!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 25 year old rule, is just that, one of their (Grundy) rules. The reason for the age barrier is the amount of accidents in the under 25 age group. They just don't want to have to deal with it! I can understand their reasoning, a lot more accident, means a lot more pay outs, and a rising cost for the rest of their customers.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From their Youthful Driver Endorsement:

"...it is hereby understood and agreed that no driver under the age of 25 years will be permitted to drive the vehicles insured under this policy and it is further understood and agreed that coverage under this policy will not apply if a driver under 25 years of age is permitted to drive any vehicle insured under this policy."

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Honey I just save a bundle on car insurance:2tu: No it wasn't with who you think:nono:

I'm now a Grundy customer.:D

I called my insurance company to add on my 2008 coupe to my policy.
New Jersey Manufactures quoted me $1800.00 for the year plus my 2000 RT/10 is at $1300.00 per year. Total $3100.00.:crazy2:

Grundy quote $1995.86
:bounce::bounce:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets