GTS hatch high speed problems?

Reaction score
There is a simple solution, roll up the windows and turn on the AC. I would bet if you stuck your face out the window at 180 MPH you would blow out your lips etc as well
laugh.gif
Seriously though, don't run high speed with the windows down on a GTS

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Although Jim's point on keeping the windows closed is a good one, I think there is more to it than that.

The flaps in the rear sides of the GTS are mainly to vent airbag induced cabin pressurization. They apparently have an adhesive that prevents water infiltration, yet allows venting during rapid pressurization. Under high speed driving, the pressure buildup is more gradual and perhaps not violent enough to break the seal of the flaps. Unfortunately, the pressure builds until the rear window becomes the vent.

In addition to having the windows closed, it would probably be beneficial to place the HVAC knob in the off position during high speed runs to minimize the odds of that occurring. One could also check the flaps to see if the adhesive was overzealously applied.</FONT f>

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest you letting off the gas at 179mph!! On the closed course, that is!!
Enjoy your trip!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 96's had a bad run of adhesive which could result in the hook coming off the back window. If this has not happened by now you could reasonably expect that your hatch will hold.
Dodge replaced a few entire rear hatch windows under warranty. Very classy response.
At high speeds I experienced at the Silver State Classic (+165) the windows sometimes would be sucked out of their seals causing some wind noise. Really no big deal. Running with windows down at those speeds is really noisey. Much better aerodynamics with windows up.
Enjoy your trip.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Jon. It would be better to leave the windows down. As air rushes parallel to a surface, the outside pressure becomes next to nil. At some point, the pressure inside becomes greater than the pressure outside. Leaving the windows down lets the pressure inside vent out so that inside and outside pressures equalize. Although more pleasing to the ear and better aerodynamically with the windows closed, Having them so could lead to an explosive event. Same theory applies to homes in areas accustomed to being subjected to twisters. It is common for people there to leave their windows open during a twister lest the windows and roof get blown off.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my +100mph crash, the rear hatch glass blew out into tiny fragments (and the rams took chunks out of my GT2 rear wing
crying.gif
) The latch-lock, and the glass bonded onto the hatch arms remained in situ, this is on a '97. The airbags were deployed, I don't know if they popped the hatch glass, or weather it was body / tub shock flex of the crash that did it?
dead.gif