GTS Hood Cracking HELP!!!

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS that I bought at the end of 99. I have about 13000 miles on it. The hood is starting to crack between the intake scoop,and the emblem. Has anyone had this happen, and is it covered under warranty. The crack are under the paint.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars hood has always been closed correctly. The hood just seems to be flawed, also it is cracking at the strongest point with the most support. It not cracking where the hood is attached to the brackets.

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is cracking at the strongest point with the most support. It not cracking where the hood is attached to the brackets.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This is confusing, because you say it is cracking at the strongest point with the most support, but not at the brackets. The brackets are the strongest point and where the hood should be pushed down at for closing. If you close the hood by pushing down IN FRONT of the Brace under the hood, you could crack it.

There are some previous posts on this issue. Sorry to hear it though. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cracks are right above where the hood a nose meet on the car. I have always shut the hood with both hands and a cloth.
There are two cracks that are becoming larger and larger. So, I guess it is time to see the dealer. I have never had my car in for service, how should I approach them about this.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on guys, The first day I bought the car I was programmed by Dodge on how to shut the hood. Even if I forgot, I have my trusty Dodge Viper operation video. I have always shut the hood with two hands over both brackets.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense intended blackgts99...but if memory serves me, the videotape shows the wrong procedure. You should be placing your hands behind the duct, over the area where the hood is attached to the brackets...not the latches at the front. Anyhow, seems to me that something else must have happened. Did you car spend alot of time on the dealer's floor? Maybe something was dropped on the hood before you got it? My ''96 had something like that.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car at the end of 99, it was one of the last cars at the dealer for that year. Any how, I guess I will take it back to Dodge and see how well they take care of there customers.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my car to my local Dodge,Chrysler Dealer. They said they would fix the hood under warranty no problem, also replace my driver seat do to some cracking. This seems to easy, will let u guys know how it goes. Tony

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will send the seat out to have all the cracks and splits resticked with new material. They said on the hood it would be removed and stripped down to the base and repaired, and refinished. I have talked with other people who have had the same thing done, they where happy with the results. I will post results on here once it is all done. The hood is sceduled for mid Sep. The rest will be repaired next week. They will also adjust passenger door, replace passenger weather stripping. (Rubbed)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960