GTS serpentine belt problems

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need help with my 2000 GTS. When I bought it the milage was 8600 it had a new serpentine belt on it. I noticed that the front leading edge of the belt was wearing slightly(small bits of rubber under the hood). I kept an eye on it and after a bit milage the edge of the belt began to fray? The belt has ribs on the bottom of it, the outside rib (the one closest to the front of the car) was completely worn off? I figured the dealer that sold me the car had put on the wrong belt. So I decided to replace it. I have had the new belt on my car now for about 500 miles and this belt is doing the same thing? this is a stock belt from dodge. Any ideas, or has anyone seen this problem?

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made sure it was on all of them as far as I could get them. It seems like it is close to the edge on the alternator. I bought the car used so I don't know if any of the pulleys were changed. They all seem to be stock.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you tell if the belt is closer to the edge on some pulleys and not others?

Sounds like a pulley alignment issue or there is a rub somewhere. Stand to the side and sight down everything. Nothing should look even slightly at an angle, like the belt coming off one pulley headed to the next.

Do you have the power steering pulley upgraded from the OE plastic piece?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made sure it was on all of them as far as I could get them. It seems like it is close to the edge on the alternator. I bought the car used so I don't know if any of the pulleys were changed. They all seem to be stock.

On the pulleys as far as you could get them???

There is no gray area there. The belt is either on right, or it is wrong.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
maybe I worded that wrong. What I meant is that I put the belt on and made sure it was on each one fully to be sure nothing was sticking off or miss aligned. I did this then looked over everything. Like I said the alternator pulley seems like it's actually to small for the belt. just enough to make the belt edge curve up just slightly. weird. I looked to see if there was a way to make any adjustments on it. As far as I can see there is no way to do anything there. As you said it's either on or not.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howzabout some pics of that?

And did you inspect the pulley for damage or anything? And general pulley alignment?

If one pulley was off it could make the belt not seat well. Or maybe the pulley is wrong.

Where did you get your new belt? Brand?

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to take some photos of it. The belt is from the dealer and is the stock belt for the car.
The next step it to check the pulleys closer to see if I can see any damage or problems.
Thanks I'll get back to you with more details.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like misalignment. Stand beside the front of the engine while its running and watch the belt's movement. Rev the engine a few times and if there is very much misalignment you should be able to see the belt try to climb the edge of the pulley (hopefully). Look from both sides.

Ted

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep your right. My alternator pulley seems to be damaged. It has a dent in in that is causing the belt problem. Can you just order a new pulley?

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I bought it from a dealer, they were deceptive. I contacted the original owner at one point and he admitted he had run it off the road. I have checked the car real well and have not seen any problems except a repair on the hood. The car has been solid, and I drive it really hard. Several track days with no problems. I guess the pulley is minor if that's it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a small triangular file will take off the high or rough spot. You can test it by flipping the belt so the bad edge is the other way. Use the old one to test it also.

Yes, I am really cheap sometimes. But the pulley is probably pretty soft metal and filing won't take very long, so there is a high reward to effort ratio.