GTS shifting

drsargeant820

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2002 GTS. Is there any way to disconnect the mechanism that overrides your ability to go from 1st to 2nd when that dumb arrow shows up on the dash? What is the value of this feature, does anyone know or care for it?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes there is. There is a resistor or harness you can plug into the CAGS connector under the car in the transmission. Check out the How-To-section of this Website for details. You could also have the PCM reprogrammed to disable that feature or simply give it more gas :D I can't remember at what rev range it kicks in, but simply pressing the "go" pedal skips that annoying feature.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This skip shift is only "forced" under slow excelleration and low rpms. Step on the gas and this won't happen. It's never happened on mine! Otherwise, check the "howto" section of the website to learn how to eliminate this "feature".

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The item that deletes this forced shifting is called a "skip shift eliminator". It can be found at Roe Racing, and many other sources. The tech articles, although I have not read them may give specific brands and suppliers to stick with.

OP
OP
D

drsargeant820

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. It has only been a problem at low RPM so stepping on the gas sounds like a good plan. Does anyone know why Dodge put this feature on the car?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was added to meet stupid federal fuel economy standards.

It's not difficult to "fool" it. Like Ray said, wiggle it in neutral. I don't know what the big deal is, it only kicks on in parking lots.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing the rear muffler with pipes will give you about 10hp and a much better sound without being too loud.

Smooth tubes and filters from RoeRacing.com is less than $200 and will give you about 10hp.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will kick in or lock you out at 12 - 14 mph at less than 10% throttle. So the moral to the story is you are driving too slow....give it more than 10% throttle ...KICK IN THE GASS.

Cudaman :usa: