GTS Transmission issues?

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a grinding problem when shifting into 5th gear on my 98 GTS. All the other gears are just fine and once you are in 5th it's fine (doesn't pop out or anything). I wouldn't think 5th would be the first one to give me issues but it is. The problem was there when I get the car. But seems to have gotten worse with the install of a SVS short throw shifter. Not blaming the shifter by any means, I don't think the shifter could make just one gear grind, if the movement was off I would think all the gears in that direction would grind a bit (1st, 3rd, 5th)? Pulling the tranny is easy, but where should I go from there with it. Any suggestions.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see if I remember correctly on this one. 1st and 2nd are on one fork, so are 3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th. So if it was movement being off, it would only affect 5th and 6th. Since it's only affecting one gear, it's probably a synchro.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bingo. 5th was first to go on mine as well. You can pull it and take it to a local shop. They will open it and you can look for yourself. In my case that wasnt the only problem. Lots of the gears were stuck on the shaft so a rebuild would have been $$$. I went with a newer tranny and she's been good to me since.

Do a search there are a couple of threads where I discuss my trans problem and fix.

:usa: