GTS Window Trim - Adhesive to fix?

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After sitting in the sun all day at Roanoke (Mopar show), when I went to roll up the window, the rubber trim was just sticky enough to bite on the window and pull away from the door. Looks like it is applied by a factory adhesive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Any suggestions/recommendations before I slap on some epoxy and clamps?

OP
OP
V

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dave - couldn't find anything related in the service manual and wasn't using the right search term. Glad I found it before it became lost - $600ish to replace (yikes)! I see it must have been riveted on originally, so the previous owner must have glued it also at some time.

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap!! $600 to get those replaced!!?? Viper tax for sure...

This was one my list to get done.. one day.. figure I would swing by the stealership, buy some new pieces, pop them in and scratch it off the list..

Well, not the same sticker shock as those sills though!? Since I have the typical bubble in the paint (from the heat some say, other say it's from moisture trapped due to the insulation, which corrodes the aluminum), I wanted to just replace them one day.. Splash some pain on and viola!! Not so much anymore.. Those things are worth more than some cars!!

Ok, done, feel better.. for now..

Thanks Dave - couldn't find anything related in the service manual and wasn't using the right search term. Glad I found it before it became lost - $600ish to replace (yikes)! I see it must have been riveted on originally, so the previous owner must have glued it also at some time.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine looks like crap on the top edge, this *****... I feel like punching someone right in their face.

OP
OP
V

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tested out some of Elmer's Nano-glue, and it seems that it will do the job well. Now just have to get the inside trim out, then the outside piece off to clamp it up nicely. The nano-glue expands, so clamping is 100% required, or you'll find yourself with a bowed-out trim and a window that won't go up and down (don't ask how I know this....and how I know it will bond to glass as well....).

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was a thread a while back of someone having success fixing it but not too many have. i paid 350 for a good used one from jonB a few years ago

OP
OP
V

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For anyone who has taken it apart to do the glue fix - the service manual hints that the inner stanchion trim cover can be removed on its own. Were you able to? Or did you have to remove the entire door panel first?

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aany updates on this? I have the same problem and the search feature has only produced this usefull thread and the above link does not work anymore.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I glued mine back in with BlackSilicone and used a few small clamps to let her cure. I didnt want to use epoxy, crazyglue, ect... since its more perminate and assume i will need to replace the window seal at some point.
To my surprise it is still holding up 2 years later.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine has held up for a year now. First I tried a type of expanding adhesive, and while it held, it prevented the window from going up and down. In the end, I used plain old super glue after filing down the rivet nibs to get a flush fit.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stantion does come off without removing anything else except outer door button and some screws. Have to work it a bit. .

I removed and used a small amount of Gorilla Glue to fill the void. Made sure there was no chance window could catch it, trimmed with razor when cured and used a black marker to color. Happy so far.

OP
OP
V

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stantion does come off without removing anything else except outer door button and some screws. Have to work it a bit. . .

If the trim is not broken at the top, it will be VERY difficult to remove it without removing the inner trim (instruction in the service manual). I do not recall having to remove the outer trim or door button at all, just clamped it up to the stanchion.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting used to the whistling behind my left ear... It sort of counters the exhaust noise...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mistake, you are absolutely correct the inner stantion piece does have to come off, but not the door panel. The inner stantion is tricky and requires some force, but with the right twist it just makes it. It's been a while... Sorry for the confusion.