2003 Driver's Door Trim at Window

David Hinrichs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a thin plastic trim that goes at the top of the door panel next to the window. It is a thin black plastic piece that has split on my car. Found some threads from 10 years ago regarding this part and it's flimsiness! Was not available, suggestions were carpet tape, JB Weld, etc. Hoping by now it is available, but cannot find it. Maybe part of inner doo panel? That would ****!

Any thoughts or part numbers?

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a thin plastic trim that goes at the top of the door panel next to the window. It is a thin black plastic piece that has split on my car. Found some threads from 10 years ago regarding this part and it's flimsiness! Was not available, suggestions were carpet tape, JB Weld, etc. Hoping by now it is available, but cannot find it. Maybe part of inner doo panel? That would ****!

Any thoughts or part numbers?

It is a part of the door panel itself, it is not sold separately.

Black double sided tape works extremely well and without any drama. If you trim it to be less wide than the metal door strip it will be an invisible repair. Scotch Mount Extreme is what I used.

OP
OP
D

David Hinrichs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think mine has been repaired, guess I will dissect it when the weather gets nice. Was probably patched when I bought the car. New double side tape will probably do the trick. Other option is to go visit an upholstery shop and see what magic they could do.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Hinrichs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried some tape, the areas were too slick to stick. Called around, ended up at a local body shop. They used an epoxy product to glue it all back together. Not perfect, but much better. I suppose if I got crazy I could sand and paint it, but this could really make a mess of it.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried some tape, the areas were too slick to stick. Called around, ended up at a local body shop. They used an epoxy product to glue it all back together. Not perfect, but much better. I suppose if I got crazy I could sand and paint it, but this could really make a mess of it.
This issue is likely very common, so for future readers of this thread...

Everyone’s experiences in life are different, but the specific tape that I referenced, Scotch Mount Extreme, will absolutely stick and stay in place. And if trimmed properly before installation it will be an invisible repair.

Before attempting any type of gluing, or in this instance the use of very sticky double-sided tape, always prep the surface by cleaning it properly. I used a couple of alcohol wipes as a prep and had no issues at all. I’m very satisfied with the repair.

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
David, did you resolve the door trim issue? suggest you look at the replacement parts I have made.

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I have developed a 3D printed replacement part that fits exactly as the original and is retained using 3M double sided trim tape. I have asked Viper owners if they could support a 10 set pilot run without success. The guy in Canada want something in excess of $400, I was offering mine for half that.

Attachments

• 20220908_055524.jpg
    20220908_055524.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 20

threepedalsco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ted -- I'm looking for this piece (the interior strip that runs along the door panel adjacent to the passenger window). Do you have any for sale? I have an '06 Coupe.

Thanks!
Vik