Guess I Found my AC Problem

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been having ac issues on and off the entire summer. Blows cold for awhile then blows warm (usually when I get on it even though I have a vacuum check valve in place). Then blows cold again. Was out on the freeway a couple of weeks ago and the air was blowing nice and cold. Got on it a little and all the suddenly the air was blowing hot and I smelled something burning. I figure I had rubbed another hole in one of the lines like I did before where it comes real close to me header shield. Came home and inspected the line and it was fine. I bought a real set of gauges and checked the low side and high side. It was a little low so I added some freon and took her for a ride. Air felt pretty good for awhile and was blowing at 55. Then is started blowing warm air. I pulled in the garage and it started getting cool again. I popped the hood and checked the compressor. It looked fine (it was spinning at least). The I revved the engine and saw the compressor hesitate and some sparks shoot out. I guess the clutch is going and that is what I smelled on the freeway when I got on it and the air was blowing hot.
I have searched a little and foung a rebuilt one for 345, and a new one for 395 with 1 year warranties. Not sure if the savings is worth it for the rebuilt. I'm thinking of putting it in myself and then taking it to a shop to have it vacuumed and filled, and or having them just do the whole job and I'll get the part.
Any pointers if I do it myself. It looks like it's doable from under the car- 4 bolts and the freon lines.

Thanks
Gary

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a brand new OEM compressor put in my '97 GTS, (it was leaking at the pulley area). I spent $300 at the dealership for the labor and vac and recharge. Worked great for one day then found out afterward the hose to the condenser was also leaking, have yet to replace it as the dealer wants another $300. If I could start over, I would have done it myself.
Make sure to replace the evaporator (oops, I mean receiver/drier, lol, just forward of the passenger door) you can get one for about $22 at advance auto or autozone. Sorry, I don't have details on how to do the job but looks fairly simple if you have the proper tools and can get the car up in the air.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
II have searched a little and foung a rebuilt one for 345, and a new one for 395 with 1 year warranties. Not sure if the savings is worth it for the rebuilt. I'm thinking of putting it in myself and then taking it to a shop to have it vacuumed and filled, and or having them just do the whole job and I'll get the part.
Any pointers if I do it myself. It looks like it's doable from under the car- 4 bolts and the freon lines.

RockAuto has OEM Denso listed at 343 plus shipping. It wasn't very difficult to replace. You could just buy the clutch; but, I think that on a 11 year old car, you might as well do the whole assembly.

Make sure to replace the evaporator (just forward of the passenger door) you can get one for about $22 at advance auto or autozone.

What he said (but he really meant to type receiver/drier.) And, I would replace the O-rings that you disturb. I bought a universal kit at Autozone, and I don't remember but may have had to get some at NAPA; however, I had the whole system apart to flush it due to a compressor self destruct.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
based on your op, it sounds like it is operating as designed (except maybe the sparks :omg: )

are you sure it is not the automatic compressor cut off when it senses you stepping on the go pedal :dunno:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from Rock Auto. Came with new O-Rings for the hi-low pressure hoses. I do have a good used compressor on the shelf since my AC problem turned out not to be the compressor...PM me if you want to work a deal on my used one.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rebuilt AC compressors will never last long. For the slight difference in price, go with new. As mentioned by Eurochristo, it may be working properly. From your description of the problem, I would guess the problem is merely a low freon charge. AC compressors are meant to cycle to prevent freezing of the evaporator. Do you know anyone with an AC machine to evacuated and recharge system to verify charge? Many shops are hurting for work and may not charge or charge you only a small amount to verify. I would have this checked prior to spending a bunch of money. Good luck, John

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looked fine (it was spinning at least). The I revved the engine and saw the compressor hesitate and some sparks shoot out. I guess the clutch is going and that is what I smelled on the freeway when I got on it and the air was blowing hot.

As mentioned by Eurochristo, it may be working properly. From your description of the problem, I would guess the problem is merely a low freon charge.

If that "sparking" deal is repeatable, I agree that the clutch or the compressor is toast !

What happened to mine was that the compressor seized up, and took out the clutch. Catastrophic internal compressor failure means a pretty major hassle in flushing out the system.

I recommend that if the clutch is bad, just replace the whole assembly and don't keep using it and waiting until it fails totally. However it might not hurt to try charging the system if you doubt your observation about the sparks.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now you guys have me wondering if it was the compressor cutoff that I saw when I gave it some gas, although that wouldn't explain the spark that I saw, and the warm air as I did just get done charging the system so I know it's not low. The thing that has me really thinking it is the compressor is because of the burning smell that happened the couple of times it started blowing warm. Rock Auto looks good with the compressor and drier. I checked with Tator as I would rather give him the business, but a dodge compressor is over $600. I might have it vacuumed and refilled first before I do anything in case I got some moisture in it- depending on how much they want to do that.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Gary

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the American system, but over here you may NOT work on your own AC setup at home.. well unless you're an AC mechanic by profession I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4