H pipe installation

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the ground clearance affected since the pipes pass under the frame? Do you have any pictures, maybe from the side of the car, with the car on the ground? Also, what was the cost to do something like this?

Matt

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better yet - how about some shots of the crossover pipe from underneath after 1000 miles...

I'm not picking on your results (which are great) or the quality and execution of the package, but I don't give it much of a chance to live long on real roads. If that setup was on my car, it would drag traffic buttons on the highway when I change lanes.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow,

That is the longest H-pipe I think I have ever seen.

Since the "X" pipe is supposed to be the trick setup, I wonder how this H-pipe works out.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, this could be an interesting new product if it was done properly. Bill, what would you say to some dyno jet testing with some H pipes? With the increase in hp which it would take to get 2 tenths this would be a very nice product to sell...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Before anyone goes out and has their favorite exhaust fabricator build something like that thing, consider the theory and reasons for a balance pipe so you make an informed decision on more than a single claim of power increase. Some claims that come up on the internet just have to be thought through and not taken as pure fact.

The "H" pipe question was asked in Viper Magazine Tech Notes Winter 2000. Herb Helbig noted that they tried an "H" pipe on a dyno and saw "little or no improvement". I'm going to guess that the "H" pipe very short and connected just downstream of the exhaust manifolds and that the results may be attributed to the odd fire pulse pattern of the Viper.

For a balance pipe to increase h/p it needs to be placed close to the header collector, BEFORE cats/mufflers, and be as short a distance as possible between the pipes. Vipers with balance tubes (X or H) have them in the rear of the car. Balance pipes that far back in the system, after mufflers and cats, and would have negligible impact on power, but do effect the sound by raising the pitch a bit and therefore reducing the low freq resonance. That's one reason the Corsa system and BTR system has less resonance than a Borla where the pipes are not connected. I've seen some Viper balance pipes placed under or very close to the differential but I would not want any extra heat there.

To find the right location to install your balance tube, apply a strip of paint down the front portion of the exhaust pipes. The Balance tube should be placed where the paint burns off (bubbles) on the exhaust pipes. Generally, put the balance tubes as close to the headers as possible. The balance tube diameter should be at least 75% of the diameter of the pipes with which it connects. This Basic info is at: look under "Balance Tubes" at bottom the their page: http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/exhaustpros/magmanbenxpi.html
You must be registered for see images

That is why the "X" pipe design has shown superior to the "H".

So here Team Viper says there's no big power gain from an "H" pipe on this motor and where balance pipe power increases are best with a shorter pipe like the "X", this is a v-e-r-y long pipe that is expected to increase power?

Bill, ask Bassani what they think of such a long balance pipe. Dr Gas and Bassani both have years of racing knowledge relating to exhausts and have specialty products in balance systems like "X" pipes and know what works and what does not.

Btw......That huge balance pipe photo showed up on the board about 2 years ago. I thought the car was for sale a long time ago.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????