Hard shifting into reverse

RS16017

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '95 RT10 that has started becoming hard to get into reverse. All 6 forward speeds shift fine with no grinding or anything. Are there issues with the transmissions on these cars. Mine only has 32K miles and I do not race or do any speed shifting or such.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a problem where my car would grind when I let off the clutch when in reverse. I was quoted $1k-ish for a local rebuild. Bought a NIB Gen 3 tranny for $1300 from PartsRack. Sold the core to a local guy who had it rebuilt. He said it ended up being a broken internal plastic washer causing the problem.

OP
OP
R

RS16017

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read in other posts here that wore bushings on the clutch pedal assembly can cause this problem. I've noticed that I have to push the clutch almost all the way to the floor to engage the clutch safety switch when starting the car. Could be the clutch isn't being depressed enough to engage reverse since reverse gears in these transmissions aren't syncronized.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For information sake - john donato (Detroit) is probaby the best t56 rebuild man around. There many dealers that use John.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Amazing how people jump to the worst possible scenarios. Hopefully a very simple fix - There is an electronic reverse solenoid lockout that probably needs to be replaced. I don't remember what circuit it's on as you may also want to check that fuse as well.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RS16017

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket62,

Thanks for that tibit of info. Yeah, I can't believe it's a serious problem given the mileage and the way I drive. If it was jumping out of a forward gear I could understand possibly a tranny problem but just reverse and just now starting. I'll look into the electrical aspects.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RS16017,
I have a 99 RT10 with 15000 miles and mine has been doing the samething for 2-3 years now. It is just really hard to get it seating in reverse. When it is not engaged properly and you let out the clutch there is a brief grinding noise. Once it is engaged correctly in reverse, then there is no problem. It does not pop back out and all the other forward gears have no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456