Hardtop noise

ViperDissi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, i have the Autoform Hardtop on my 03 SRT.10. There is always a cracking noise where the Hardtop is attached on the windshield. Is this normal. Is there a trick to install?

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1- Add a Weather-strip to the front and one to the back (If it's not there, mine came with one for the back). :)

If that fails to solve the problem, other possible solutions:

2- Turn music up

3- Install supercharger

4- Remove cat and muffler

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had one on my car for two years (including 3,000+ track miles)with out any noises at all. Call Tony at Autoform and discuss with him. Was it installed properly, or when it was taken off to go ******* did you pull it straight back from the windshield? If not you could have cracked the fiberglass where the two pins are potted into the top for attachement to the car. If that is the cases you have a problem. But call Tony any way and discuss with him.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the vipermania top not the autoform so don't know if this will help, BUT, can you adjust the tightness of the front latch. I used to have a lot of creaking, then I tightened the front latch and it mostly went away.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1- Add a Weather-strip to the front and one to the back (If it's not there, mine came with one for the back). :)

If that fails to solve the problem, other possible solutions:

2- Turn music up

3- Install supercharger

4- Remove cat and muffler

:2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I spent about 40 hours getting mine to be "quiet". Only those of use with these tops will understand.

1 - The length on the pins at the sides of the top need to be just right. They are adjustable by trial and error. They need to fit snugly in the hole when the center hook is tight.

2 - Once the pin lengths are correct, you will need to adjust the center hook until the two sides almost touch the front window frame.

3 - Mine came with weatherstripping at the front, but not at the back. You will need to add weatherstripping to the back. This took me some time to get right as the top didn't fit quite squarely, i.e., the trunk lid was closer to the top on the drivers side than it is on the passenger side.

4 - The pin length on the sides will need to be adjusted to where they are a snug fit when you turn (cam) them in to lock the top on the sides. I have to tuck my soft top in just right when folded to make them fit well. I had to do the trial and error thing on the side pins to get them to correctly line up and correctly cam into place.

Now my top is about as quiet as I think is possible. It only creaks when I go up a steep driveway at an angle. I used this top while driving the Silver State Classic. I drove 160 mph for over 50 miles with this top on and it worked quite well.

Hope this helps,

Dan