Hardtop trouble...need advice

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi folks. Just picked up my first Viper. 98 RT/10. I am addicted.

I have an elementary machine shop question. On the hardtop...front latches...the the previous owner tried to take out the screws to tighten the latch. The screw stripped. I tried to use an extractor bit to remove the screw. That worked. I tried to put in a new screw and the POS screw broke off into the hole inside of the part inside the hardtop. I tried to extract that. I got the screw out but I stripped the threads on that part. I cannot screw in a screw now. You can't remove this part because it is located inside the the hardtop. I obviously am not very mechanically inclined. Is it possible to re-thread that metal piece? I would hate to have to trash an otherwise perfect Mopar hartop. Thanks in advance.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
If the heli-coil doesn't work then fill the hole with JB Weld (get it at almost any hardware or auto parts store) then re drill and tap it.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Or..........just drill to the next larger size and tap a larger bolt size into the hard top. You might want to research what size bolts will fit your application. I've never tried heli-coil myself.

You can buy a tap/die set at most any hardware store, parts store, SEARS, etc. Or just buy a handle and the single size tap you need. My .02

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make sure you get that front secured very well.
I had the back pop off at 140+ and it was floating about 4 inches above the roll bar, and believe me I was praying that the front held till I could stop. The front is really important! Turned out the back was not properly engaged, so now I double check

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas