Has anyone had a bad experience with NOS?

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I see people on-line posting about their gains, etc. I'm intriqued and doing research. I have a 2000 GTS which will soon be equipped with Belanger Headers/Exhaust and High Flo cats. I'd like to add a NOS kit to go past 500HP when the juice is turned on.

Any bad experiences or should this be smooth sailing all the way?

Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has fielded inquiries from, and sold pistons to, year-2000 NOS users.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For almost everything there is a tradeoff: RELIABILITY and LONGEVITY will be compromised regardles of what salespersons try to tell you in order to sell their product. I don't have the statistics to substantiate this, but I will say that the community of hot rodders I've been around all seem to resoundingly accept that they give up the long-term life of the engine if they intend to use NoS often. You'll notice that manufacturers build with turbos and superchargers, but not NoS systems off the showroom floor - hmmmm, certainly for a good reason. NoS is great if you plan to race your car, but for street use, it sounds like the mods you have planned [Belanger Headers and Exhaust] should give you more than enough performance. Summarized Reply: Building a Dragster = Yes, go with NoS; Not planning to Race = No NoS. I certainly wouldn't buy a car that had nitrous and many others would not either. Just another thought to consider and I hope the honest truth helps.

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mayasa:
albert,

Whats wet? (propane)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe a wet kit sprays gas and nitrous whereas a dry kit sprays just nitrous and lets the computer decide how much gas to spray. A wet kit seems like it would be more safe because you know you have the correct amount of gas and shouldn't go lean. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

-Rick

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RickL is mostly right, with a wet system you use as secondary fuel (usually propane) this makes it run cooler. It is not regulated by computer though you use different size jets just like on the NOS bottle,and whatever you don't use you can barbecue with it.

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the power levels you offer too, Albert. I know Tom offers up to a 225 shot. I know someone makes a 300 horse shot. Maybe Nitrous Express, or NOS? Can't remember for sure. Is a 300 shot safe if you use the proper amount of propane with it? Thanks.
Chris

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd J................73,000 miles,
123-15 lb bottles of nitrous through
the engine no problems. no bottom end mods either,
200 wet shot.. sold car it is still strong right Tom?

If nozzles aren't pointed in same direction= air box explosion!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd J

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dry systems inject a smaller amount of nitrous into the engine without installing some kind of fuel augumentation. They were developed for todays fuel injected cars to give a little power without maxing out the vehicles fuel delivery system.

The NOS "DRY" kit uses a controller to enhance the factory fuel system to its limit in order to achieve the 80 hp gains that the dry kit offers.

Dry kits were not in existance until fuel injected cars hit the streets. With carburated engines that use low pressure/high volume fuel delivery, an abundance of extra gasoline was available to supplement nitrous. It is not easy to tap into the high pressure/low volume fuel systems of fuel injected cars and most of them(especially the viper) do not have the extra fuel system capacity to lend fuel to supplement the needs of a 200+hp nitrous kit. That is why we introduced propane.

There are other methods of introducing extra fuel necessary to achieve higher power levels, but keep in mind that the viper fuel system is limited to about 550 hp.

Everyone has their preference. I like propane, it burns cool and is higher octane than any racing gas on the market, no noisy fuel pumps, no fuel cells, and gasoline smell in the car. After 60 or so 1/4 mile passes I take the bottle with my Bar-B-Q grill tank to the local RV store and get it filled for a dollar. But thats my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like..........LOL.

Good luck to you all with your search........Albert has a very fast car and can definately offer a powerful alternative to nitrous/fuel delivery.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Reaction score
I sell the Nitrous Express kits. We have had a great expierence with this product. Please email or call to talk about what horse power levels we can run through your car. Each set up is different. thanks