Have a SRT 10 Coupe...thinking of getting daily driver/ road race car....

K

Kaya

There are some great deals on the SRT6 Crossfire Coupes...I am thinking about an Aero Blue (darker blue) 2006....Chrysler has some available with some fantastic prices for the dealers. They are a bunch of 2005's sitting in lots also.

Anyone have one of these...I was thinking of using it as a rainy day car and a track car. Instead of beating only on the new Viper, I could do some track events in each car. They seem to perform great at the track and they are faster than the other cars in their class.

Any comments? Anyone have one?

Ohh, and Bill, I know you have some on your lot, but I would be hunted down by the local dodge mafia and put to death if I buy anywhere else...just picking! Hehehe.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Have a SRT 10 Coupe...thinking of getting daily driver/ road race car..

srt 8 jeep gc rocks as my daily driver although i only seem to drive it when raining otherwise the viper gets driven

OP
OP
K

Kaya

Actually, I am trying to get my 2002 Z06 back...but my friend says he wants to keep it for now.... :(

I have about 30k to spend if I buy a car and I want a car that will move around the track with some grace and speed...and won't cost as much as the Viper if I damage something. This issue came up after I left the track at Viper days. If I bought a second Viper (say and older one) it would actually cost more to repair than the SRT 10. My other option is a 2004 Z06 Commemorative car. They come up in the same price range.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Z06 would be a great track car. If you crash it it really won't break your heart.

The downside is they aren't nearly as much fun and from what I've heard the track maintenance makes them even more expensive than Vipers. Dunno. Just what Scotty and Cindi say from Naykid.

If you have 30K to spend you have a lot of choices for a dedicated track car.

OP
OP
K

Kaya

Chuck,

I had a Z06 and the brakes, tires, etc are actually cheaper than the SRT 10 Coupe. I can get a decent 2004 Z06 for the 30k to 35k price range. I would probably use the car as a rainy day car and track car. I am just looking, and if my original 2002 Z06 comes up for sale...I will be back in that in a heart beat. The car was great, it went to a home that just polishes on it.

My husband and I were just curious about the crossfire SRT6 because of the price...but we have been talking and think a Z06 would be more practical ...just because it will maintain some value as a special car and because I am comfortable in the cars after 6 years of daily driving and drag racing experience.

If I could find a Viper in great shape...for that price...someone let me know!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I drove the crossfires at SRT track experience and they were fun but I would want one as a daliy driver. There are plenty of cars out there in your price,but if you want to stay in the SRT family, I would get a Magnum. There was a killer deal right in your price range. Call Bill P and Woodhouse. You would have a fun street car the is fast , but also can haul cargo or people. And its actually alot of fun on the track too.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Z06 would be a great track car. If you crash it it really won't break your heart.

The downside is they aren't nearly as much fun and from what I've heard the track maintenance makes them even more expensive than Vipers. Dunno. Just what Scotty and Cindi say from Naykid.

If you have 30K to spend you have a lot of choices for a dedicated track car.

I tracked a '06 C6 Z06 for a year. Dang car went trough a set of pads in a day.

If you put stock pads on it ran $365 Front and $365 rear, just way too much.
Then when the after market started making them you got a small break in price, but the rotor are like cheese graters and eat them quickliy as well. The rotor heat up to quick and don't dispate the heat, had to buy new front rotors after the 2nd or 3rd track event. The Z is a good car but needs somethings sorted out for the track.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not sure of the tracking costs, but I have to think that a few year old M3 would be a great track car - they are all over the open track days, reliable, plenty of aftermarket parts / roll bars, cages, pads, etc.

Each car has its weak points - the Viper being replacement parts, but the drivetrain and other components are just rock solid.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WRX STI, GTO. The WRX wins hands down for a rainy day car as well as a track car. I test drove both and for value the GTO wins hands down. 400 HP, T-56 tranny, really nice seats. I bought it for 27.5K plus tax and license, brand new. I always liked the WRX, but the interior was horrible at best and my wife calls it a punks car. The GTO has tons of aftermarket goodies, thanks to it's Vette powertrain. One major negative is the Pontiac Dealership! I always thought the Chevy dealer was bad. Now I know why GM is going down the tubes. Anyway both cars give you a trunk and a back seat plus lots of fun. I too, considered buying another FRC Vette, but thought it would be nice to have something with a back seat and new car warranty.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

WRX STI, GTO. The WRX wins hands down for a rainy day car as well as a track car. I test drove both and for value the GTO wins hands down. 400 HP, T-56 tranny, really nice seats. I bought it for 27.5K plus tax and license, brand new. I always liked the WRX, but the interior was horrible at best and my wife calls it a punks car. The GTO has tons of aftermarket goodies, thanks to it's Vette powertrain. One major negative is the Pontiac Dealership! I always thought the Chevy dealer was bad. Now I know why GM is going down the tubes. Anyway both cars give you a trunk and a back seat plus lots of fun. I too, considered buying another FRC Vette, but thought it would be nice to have something with a back seat and new car warranty.

Between the STi and the GTO, the GTO is definitely the better car/value if all you want is a reasonably quick and comfortable daily driver. However, if your primary motivation is a dedicated track car, then it's STi all the way. They are surprisingly fast right out of the box and very reliable. Bone stock, they come with Brembo brakes (almost as good as the Viper's), BBS light weight wheels and very respectable handling. Much lighter and more nimble on the the track than a GTO and plenty of aftermarket goodies for additional power and better handling at reasonable prices. I have one myself and it's a blast on a road course. Very tossable and forgiving. Although my Viper is still much faster on a road course, the STi is more fun.

Lastly, there are plenty of low mileage STis available for about the same price as a GTO.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I second the STi recommendation.

Awesome car in any weather. Fun to drive on the street, on the track, or in the dirt.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I enjoy my evo. It's a great all around car. The after market is pretty amazing as the engine and drive train have been around forever. The car is pretty quick out of the box with less under steer then the STI.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I enjoy my evo. It's a great all around car. The after market is pretty amazing as the engine and drive train have been around forever. The car is pretty quick out of the box with less under steer then the STI.

I have driven both, and every review confirms it, the evo is a better car. easier for bolt ons and it handles much better than a STI. If you want a viper, they can be found for about the 35K mark if you are patient and look hard enough as long as you dont mind a gts with some mileage.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you don't have salt and snow on the road why don't you drive your Viper unless you are hauling too much to fit into the car?