Header & High-flow cat mod question....(sound & power?)

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....I'm looking to do the best (highest HP improvement) header / high-flow cats combination for my 1997 model year GTS coupe. I understand the 97's gain a little more HP from exhaust upgrades becuase of the higher lift cam for that year, is this true? And how much rwhp can i realistically expect in gains with the 1 3/4 inch belanger headers + their 3 inch high-flow cats?? Is this basically the best header/cat combo for an N/A car? My car already has intake/smooth tubes and belanger cat-back exhuast.
....also, my car is fairly quiet with just the cat-back exhaust upgrade it has now...how much louder will it get with the belanger headers & HF cats? I don't want unbareble sound...will I be able to hear the radio OK in my GTS? Any feedback and comment would be appreciate from this new GTS owner. :)

--- Kevin D. (1997 GTS Blue / White )

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I tracked my Viper recently and although subjective, my brothers (all with racing background) said I pulled on all of the pack comming out of turns and on straights (OK...so my corners aren't too good!) and they new exactly which car I was due to the awesome sound! Haven't any dyno numbers....so subjective only. My camshaft profile may be pretty close to yours.

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went from 376 RWHP with stock headers, cats and corsa on a 97 to 413 RWHP with belanger headers and roe cats.

I'm sure part of the gap in increase between vipers with headers would be the stock headers in the 97 being cast vs later tubular ones.