Headlamp Lens discoloring

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if discoloring is a word or not, but the inside of my headlights are looking like they were applyed wax and not removed. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole lens? I think there are companies that fix this but is it a DIY thing? If so how do you do it?

Thanks
Todd

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, I had the same problem; I was lucky, I took it back to the dealer and they replaced "both" of them so one won't look newer than the other. I have an 06 coupe. If your still under warranty give it a shot! by the way they replaced the whole assembly (HID'S) $2500.00 ea. so if you don't have warranty maybe someone out there knows if you can pull the lens off to polish. having done this in other cars it will NOT last long before the dicoloration comes back. good luck!

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buff them out with polish and a buffer. They also make special speical polish and cleaner just for headlights but they are not necessary. If they are really bad you might want to even wet sand them with some 2000 sandpaper before polishing. It's easy to make them look like new.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking closer and doing a search, the problem is on the outside and not the inside. I guess the protective film is flaking off. THanks for your inputs...guess I'm sanding this weekend.

Todd

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the same issue that a lot of honda civics have, you see them running around with a yellow lens. The molds are done at different times and are cheaply made. Gotta make sure you wax your headlights every time you wash your car (my opinion). This seems to prevent it from happening. But you can polish it out, it is on the outside.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The clear coating on the outside does not last long. I sanded my clear coating off and buff out all the scratches in the plastic. They look new now.

Before on the right and after on the left.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Toothpaste works for color and shine. If you've got scratches and pits that's when you'll need to wetsand and polish. Bot my 98 and '01 GTSs didn't need it. Wife's '01 Ford does though.

Ted

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sanded mine. It was a scary process but it works.

I did the same, buffing did not work. When that surface oxidizes it is hard as a rock. They came out looking like new. I then added the headlight protectors from Griotts Garage. They are custom sized for the each model. They are UV resistant.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI Jon! Anyhoo...Dodge Country Bodyshop sanded, clearcoated mine for a whopping 65.00 each. They look crystal clear noe sirs.