Headlight problem - Any suggestions?

ChipH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 98 RT10, and last week, I noticed a problem with the left front headlight. On low beams, both the low beam and high beam are illuminated, but are both weak (as in dim). On high beam, both lights go off. This is only on the left side, as the right side is completely normal. I thought one of the bulbs was burned out, so I replaced both left side bulbs, but the problem remains. Any ideas?

My sincere hope is that my harness is not damaged in some way...

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Chip Havemann

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chip, on my 95, the harness had chaffed thourgh an aluminum panel. This happened in the area below the ecu. One of my headlights was also out, we traced the wiring, spliced and all is well. If you need a better desciption of the area, call me at 706-658-7292. John

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On any electrical problem, always start with the ground wire. The gound for the lights is on top of the frame rail on the inside(engine) side of headlights. tough to get to, but there is,I believe, a 13mm nut on top with black wires running to it. Loosen, wire brush, (optional wire silicon) then tighten.
May work or may not, but a loose/poor ground can cause a ton of gremlins.

OP
OP
C

ChipH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I took both headlight back panels off and the wiring looked like brand new in there, so I started tracing. I found the connector on the left front just under the headlight to be loosening up, although still fully engaged. I reseated it, and wrapped it with a bit of electrical tape. The grounds look pretty secure, but I agree the ground can be the heart of a ton of problems...

Great advice, and thanks a ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya