Headliner removal to hide my V1

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to try and mount my V1 inside the pocket in the headliner. I realize that this will screen it a bit, and defeat laser detection, but I drive in VA and DC a bit where detectors are illegal. I plan on making the cord long enough to allow me to whip it out and stick it over the mirror with the suction cups when it's legal.

I've already mounted the remote unit inside the ash tray. It fits very well if you dremel out the bottom corners of the ash tray a bit.

Now I want to drop the headliner to run the wires, and make a clean hole in the pocket. It looks pretty easy from the shop manual. Does anyone know if the plastic headliner plugs are reusable? I pulled one out, and it's a little scrunchy along the shaft. They are $8.50 EACH from my local dodge dealer. It's just a little plastic plug. Talk about a viper tax. I think there are 6, so that's like a million dollars if my math is correct. Anyone know another source for them? Are they a generic part available from Pep Boys? Anyone tried to mount their radar detector in there? Any headliner tricks or tips?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are reusable many times.

I've never seen any fuzzy ones elsewhere.

This is an easy job. You can surely handle it.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. It wasn't that bad. It turned out the only tricky part was that there are 24 screws, in 4 sizes. It's tough to keep them in the right spot.

I routed the wire from the pocket to the back of the car, down one side, over to the middle, and up the center tunnel. It's totally hidden.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I just mounted my V1 with the suction cups just above the rearview mirror, and ran the wire across the top of the windshield, tucked into the edge of the liner molding. Then down the pillar again tucked behind the molding, then
plugged into a fuse tap ( #10 fuse) and a ground lug. The V1 is hidden from outside view just below and behind the "Viper GTS" decal I also just put on.
Easy to slip out and move to other vehicle. keeps both front and rear antennas
exposed.
34P4190017_med_-_wind_decal-med.jpg

OP
OP
A

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaugherj, I can do it for your RT, but I'm NOT taking my top off for you. Asking to play with my knob is one thing, but that's just going too far.