Heater Fan only works on high speed

JSM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2004 heater fan stopped working on any speed except high. The AC will not come on unless the fan is in the high position. I ordered a replacement climate control panel and replaced it. Same problem. Is there a fuse that controls the fan but not the high speed on the fan??? Help please!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have money on it being the blower motor resistor. Where exactly it is on this car, I am unsure. I would guess behind the glove box attached to the heater box assembly somewhere.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the resistor...located in passenger footwell by the blower motor. Try soldering the strap back together before replacing. Worth a shot since new ones are around $125!!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the resistor.
One thing to think about, it *****, but it's what I was told, is to replace the resistor and the blower motor at the same time. I did this because I was told that there is usually something that causes the resistor to go, and if you put a new one in there, it might just get blown again. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate, but since I was already in there changing the resistor, I went ahead and changed the blower motor as well. It's a little more money, but I'd be pissed if I changed the resistor and then had to buy another, plus the motor, plus change it out again. Just FYI of what I was told/did.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the resistor.
One thing to think about, it *****, but it's what I was told, is to replace the resistor and the blower motor at the same time. I did this because I was told that there is usually something that causes the resistor to go, and if you put a new one in there, it might just get blown again. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate, but since I was already in there changing the resistor, I went ahead and changed the blower motor as well. It's a little more money, but I'd be pissed if I changed the resistor and then had to buy another, plus the motor, plus change it out again. Just FYI of what I was told/did.
Hopefully now, it blows, not *****...

OP
OP
J

JSM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I will let you know what I find out. I will think hard about the blower motor replacement. But if I can solder the strap back together, that I would do, without replacing the motor and see what happens.

Thanks again!

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to solder it first. I had the same issue, and after a little solder, I was good to go. I think there is some old threads with pictures floating around here somewhere. Good luck

OP
OP
J

JSM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The pictures would help me positively identify what I am looking for but I have not found any........

OP
OP
J

JSM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, inside the plug in is where I will see a gap in a strap, that needs to be soldered?

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/626544-Blower-motor-resistor?highlight=resistor

Check out the pictures on this thread. The very first picture shows how the bar/strap is supposed to be connected, but is not. I'm no electronic ****, but it apears that the four fan settings coorispond to the four tabs and 1-3 go through 4. Once there is a voltage spike or something, it breaks the path to 1-3, only leaving 4 usable. My last viper (03) looked exactly like the pictures. I soldered the bar back to position 4 exactly where there was already some solder and my system worked fine. Its kinda a pain in the ass to get under the dash but use a headlight/flashlight oand it will be easy to find. I think its held by two phillip screws.

OP
OP
J

JSM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It took longer to get the tools out, Phillips screw driver, solder gun, solder, electrical contact cleaner and to put them away, than it took to fix! Thanks so much for the help!!!
The contacts were corroded and the white ceramic block does have a crack in it, but seems to be solid.

Thanks again.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could someone post a pic of the resistor, i have the same problem with my 2004 Dodge dakota...
Also, what is the part called? Searchable on the dealership parts computer?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, what is the part called? Searchable on the dealership parts computer?

Blower Motor Resistor.
It changes the voltage to the blower motor based on the resistance. When you change the fan speed, there is a higher resistance on the power wire for the blower motor. This results in less voltage which in turn slows the blower motor down.

Low = Highest resistance
Hi = No resistance, 14.4 volts

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The motor nearly always is the cause of the resistor failure. They get water in them, rust inside, and then stick. When they stick, the resistor bar pops.

Two points:

-Generally, replace them together.
-Spray the inside of the motor with a light oil.
-After car has been stored for a while, ALWAYS crank to "MAX" before using the lower settings. This will break the motor free IF it is sticky, and save the resistor.
-If possible, try to run the Fan without the A/C on for a while after you have been using it, before storing the car especially. This is primarily where the condensation comes from.

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good notes about replacing motor and resistor together. I had already taken the motor out and cleaned and lubricated so the resistor should be fine for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave