Hello everyone! Just another new Viper guy!

ravi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up everyone? Just a new member here. Currently looking at new cars and the Viper seems like a beautiful option. I've researched quite a bit and it seems like the 96-98 GTS is the best year range for me. I just have a few questions to the owners as I'm comparing a few different cars.

One big concern is cabin heat. How hot does it really get in the cabin of the GTS? I'm no panzy or anything but I don't need an extra 100 degrees in the cabin during the already hot California summers.

Secondarily, is there any way to install a dead pedal? Is there any universal fix for this?

Lastly this car will be my daily driver (I drive maybe 20-30 mins a day total) so I'm thinking if this is a low enough mileage that I can still enjoy the car and bare with it's FEW miscomforts? Since it is such a torque monster, is it really that hard to drive?

Seems like a great bunch of guys, can't wait to join you guys in the next few months!

Thanks in advance guys

Ravi Mohan

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Yes the cabin gets hot.
2. No, I have not heard of anyone installing a dead peddle nor complaining about not having one.
3. If I understand the question correctly then you may be better off buying a Vette.
4. Torque is just one of the difficulties to learning to drive a Viper. Particularly pre-00.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not want my Viper to be a daily driver. Driving the car is easy, nice gearbox/clutch. Getting in and out all the time, frequent refuelling and lack of storage space are most common complaints.

The cabin heat is also a common complaint, although I have an RT/10 and spend most of my time driving without a roof on.

Good luck in your search, but I agree with Chuck, seems the Vette might be a better choice for you.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
traffic and Vipers are a nasty combination. If you will be in stop and go traffic go get something else.

If no traffic the Snake would be uber fun.

OP
OP
R

ravi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There won't be any traffic and I'm a young guy who doesnt care about the getting/in out inconveniences. To me its all about the exoticness and rewarding myself. Bottom line for me is the Viper is the one. Changing a few of those issues will only help, but honestly I don't care if I can't do anything about it.

Thanks all for the comments they are appreciated greatly.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-Cabin heat? HF cats make a big difference.
-Dead pedal, same as Chuck. Never seen one.
-Daily driver, depends on how much you like to drive. 20-30 mins. a day--that's just pure enjoyment!
-If you haven't driven powerful cars before, then the Viper might not be the best option for you. As you shouldn't buy a Viper if you are worried about too much torque. -Not trying to mess with you, just being honest from experience.
Go test drive a Viper. Take it on a 20 min drive, and see what you think. If by some chance it's not powerful enough for you, then you're in luck as the Viper Community has become very 'Mod. Friendly' as of late, and it's only getting better!! :2tu:
Good luck

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I warmed up my hot foot in a vette for a couple years before getting the viper. If this is your first powerful car, be very careful. In fact, give strong consideration to driving school early on and take the viper to the track; it's safer to learn how the car handles there than on the street IMO.

Heat? Turn on the AC.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRIVE a Viper first. Not around the block, for a while if you are able to do so. THAT will be the hardest part of buying a Viper.

I found myself constantly "feeling" for a DP after driving the Z-06, but it's just a part of owning a Viper (it ain't got one, no room to the left to mount one).

Good luck in your search!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot to Vegas and rent one at rent-a-vette. Avoid dreamcarrentals all the cars are baffed.

Have a weekend of fun, total bill of a thousand bucks, well worth it if you find the car not what you thought.

They are not comfy, do heat up like crazy and in my case if I crank the air I am on the verge of boil over in any kind of traffic. High flows help somewhat however on the cabin temps. All of the above is quickly forgotten when a handful of cars in the world can stick with you, good feeling at a stoplight.

Good luck, you narrowed it down to the right year range, bias intended!

OP
OP
R

ravi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Stockton California. Your guys' help is definitely appreciated. I know to you guys it may not seem "too" powerful but my current car is a 01 Mustang GT. Pretty strong car (no viper) but I mean it's still rwd with decent torque etc. I'm tired of being revved on all the time and barely hangin. I really need a quick car (and one that isn't on every corner--which is why the z06 is not an option).

Casey I agree! Only 30 minutes of total commute should be lots of fun!
Genxgts: I'm definitely considering going to Budget exotic rental or something similar to get a feel for the car.

I can't wait to go for a test drive. If anyone wants to meet up and show me their wicked viper (even just a ride as I respect other's vehicles), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the respect
Ravi

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Get a Viper you won't be dissappointed. I haven't really noticed any heat in the cabin issues, No way to get a dead pedal either. :2tu:

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let the naysayers scare you away. My Viper is a daily driver here in Miami and it works just fine. Cabin heat? You'll want to replace the factory exhaust anyway and add hi-flow cats if the previous owner hasn't already done this, which reduces the problem. Plus my A/C blows nice and cold so it really hasn't been an issue for me, and it gets plenty warm here. As for the power, just respect the car and you'll be fine. Rule #1 is don't stand on the go pedal unless you're pointed in a straight line. If you just remember this one simple rule you'll probably be ok. Getting in and out of the car is not a problem if you are an able-bodied person. It's a minor inconvenience. You'll also learn to live without the dead pedal. Although I missed this at first, the cabin area for your legs is fairly narrow so what happens is you end up resting your knee against the inside of the door, which accomplishes the same thing. There aren't a lot of creature comforts, the Vette definitely has a leg up there, but it just depends on what you want in a car. Personally I think modern cars are generally so bland and uninvolving, and I have no use for clever trip computers, satellite navigation, i-drive and all that other crap they fill cars with these days. I'm the kind of guy that would drive a 427 Cobra to work and be perfectly comfortable doing so, so my perception might be a bit warped, but there is my $.02.

p.s. My viper has been great from a reliability standpoint. Other than a tendency to warp the factory brake rotors, it has been bulletproof.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only had my Viper for a little over 3 weeks. I had the same concern as you. I wasn't to comfortable spending that much on a car I'd never even sat in. Let me to you, that concern was pointless. I love it. As for power, as long as you respect it it shouldn't be to much of an issue. I'd been driving the same 88 dodge ram 50 since I was 15 to the Viper. Only powerful car I ever drove was my buddies 96 Trans Am, I'v never driving a manual and so far I haven't had any issues. I also ride sport bikes so I think that experence has helped.

I plan on using the Viper as my daily car. In fact I'v put almost 4000 miles on it in the 3 weeks I've had it. Picked it up in Springfield, MO, drove it home to Ft. Worth, TX and then went to my parents for Thanksgiving in Indiana. Not the ideal car for long road trips but not bad either. My mine complaint was it's tendence to follow the ruts in the roads. My arms actually started to get sore after driving through a long construction zone. The Viper wanted to go every way except straight. On the plus side it kept the drive interesting. lol

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get one without traction control, you need to take care. The car has so much low end power that it's easy to have the rear end come around.

Pull out from a side street, trying to fit into a hole in traffic, seems safe enough with a powerful car. It's easy to break loose the rear end doing this if you get too far into it before you get pointed down the road.

A daily driver might see some conditions that a fair weather car wouldn't and if the roads are wet, watch out. Big tires hydroplane and a Viper will do it for sure at highway speeds in rain.

A daily driver is more likely to be parked in places where you can't keep an eye on the car. A crowded shopping mall might require you to park way out in the boonies. Any kid that sees the car parked out there is going to come look at it. Some of them might ****** it.

If you are a young guy, the extra discomfort you might experience in a Viper wont be that big a deal. The Viper fun factor will outweigh the lack of small creature comfort.

The post above that mentioned the car's tracking problems on crowned roads or roads with ruts, is right on. You can't just drive down those roads without a little more effort than a normal car would require.

All in all, I'd advise you to do it.
The experience of owning an icon, a legendary supercar, is not to be missed. Even if you only keep it for a year or so you will be telling people about the Viper you owned for the rest of your life.
Go for it.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ravi, if you can swing it, I recommend getting a daily ****** to drive in the rain, and to the airport, things like that...You will love your snake so much, you won't want to drive it during any stormy weather...

Do you every get to the bay area?

Tomer

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If you get one without traction control, you need to take care. The car has so much low end power that it's easy to have the rear end come around."

I didn't know we had an option for traction control??? If your in the Fresno area, shoot me an email, I'll take you for a drive.

chan

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
joe117 said:
If you get one without traction control, you need to take care.
I thought traction control was never available on any Viper :confused: :confused: :confused: , at least I've never heard of one or seen one? I thought not having traction control was one of the unique characterisitics of a Viper.

Unless you meant an abs/non abs car?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GenXGTS said it all:

Give Rent-A-Vette a call at 1-800-372-1981 or 707736-2592. Their Vipers are kept pristine, and if you didn't know they were rented you would assume they came from a well meaning owner. At present, I am pretty sure they have a new SRT-10 as well as older Snakes. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang