Hello everyone - New Member

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad to have joined your community and look forward to many informative and interesting discussions with everyone.

I have owned Porsche all my life and finally I'm getting the itch to jump into a brand new 2004 Viper. I would like your non-biased comments on your experience with Dodge and the Viper brand.

I went to look at a 2004 SRT-10 Viper black with black interior and silver console the other day.

The vehicle is very nice to look at and you are aw-struck at the beautiful lines of this vehicle. Big ass, large tires snug in the cockpit, nice interior............your just anxious to get inside and blast the engine when you see this baby. The appearance of this car certainly necessitates the need to drive it in order to determine if the performance is indeed at par with its looks.

I was very impressed by the styling and appearance of the vehicle but I was not impressed, however, by how dirty the car was kept. This is a brand new vehicle with a little under 300 km's and it seemed to me that the engine needed a shampoo and there was dust every where in and out of the vehicle. If I had to purchase this vehicle I certainly would not purchase it from this dealership. After all if they keep an expensive car like this is that condition, I could imagine what the service would be like. Certainly, a turn-off to say the least. Is this common to your purchase experience?

Perhaps Dodge, would do much better by separating the sales of these vehicles and other high end name brands into independant showrooms and not mixed in with its other brand names .

When I pulled up with my Porsche I was attacked by 10 salespeople immediately............. knowing very well that I was there to look at the Viper.

The drive is shear brute force that throws you back on the slightest acceleration. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time I was driving the vehicle. The handling , although responsive, did not handle as agile and quick as my Carerra 4 . You get more of a go cart responsive feeling when you're in the Porsche.......then again I new this when I went to drive the car. It's a **** car with incredible brute power that concerns me about may safety if not handled with CONTROL and more importantly EDUCATION. You cannot drive this car without learning how to drive this car and applying self control!!! The Porsche, on the other hand, is much more forgiving in this respect.

All that said, is a Porsche worth the additional thousands of dollars over a brand new Dodge Viper...................................I 'm still not convinced????

Has anyone here been a Porschafile converted to Viperfile? I would love to hear your thoughts and anyones opinions in general. Especially maintenace costs, mechanical flaws, things I should be looking for in the 2004 etc.....

Cheers and safe driving.

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome I bought a 2004 Viper in early April after driving Corvettes for many years while not a Porsche it was for me a compltete change in driving style and control. The Corvette even my ZO6 is also very forgiving and "normal" until you jumped on it and this is not so with the Viper. First of all this site is incredible with factual answers to all inquires in particular technical inquires. The one thing I have learned quickly is to respect the raw power of the Viper and to Always be focused when driving the car. I had one wake up call because I added considerable power while in a turn on a road that had a ribbed surface and the rear wheels popped loose albeit for an instant but I thought it was time to change my briefs. Honestly I gave thought at that point to going back to Corvette but I am so very glad I didn't. I am not one to add more power modifications although I admire those who have mastered the art of peak performance in this car it's powerful enough for me. I have never driven a car that has torque when your in fifth gear. Many will tell you they just marvel at the styling as well as the handling and I am one of those. One other MAJOR factor for me was 2004 was the last year for the seven year seventy thousand mile powertrain warranty. I have not looked back and never believed I could feel like a kid again because of a car I was wrong. Good luck and one last point they tell you to take a driving school when you own the Viper I plan to do so however in the interim two things I have learned on this site. 1 never add too much power unless you are heaaded staright forward and 2 allow time for the tires to warm up. Happy hunting!!

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have both, a 2004 Viper and the new 997S Carrera.
Two totally different cars with virtually no similarities.
The Porsche is more refined, comfortable and can be a very good daily driver. The Viper is a brute force junk yard dog that will attack you every chance it gets and should probably not be considered for daily use, except by experienced drivers.
My guess is that you would be happier waiting for the new 997 TT. (due to land in the states 1-06)
Good luck with your decision. :2tu:

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hello everyone - New Member

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate having facts from those who have experienced Viper ownewrship.

Brian, you probably right with the 997 TT but what I have always battled was the cost of maintenace on these vehicles. Also is the TT worth an additional $ 80000.00 over the Viper??

Just recently I had a 48k service done on my C4 and it cost me $1300.00 USD. Yes...........I understand that with ownership of Porsche comes the cost, but one thing I have always dreaded is a major mechanical malfunction out of warranty. I intend to keep my next vehicle for a long time and certainly the out of pocket out of warranty costs are a concern.

Just curious, Brian.................. but if you had to part with one of the vehicles right now.........which would it be???

How is the maintenance and costs on the Viper? And hows the warranty?

Cheers and thanks again.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too have a Porsche and a Viper and agree with the above comments. The Porsche is a much more refined car and if I had to chose one it would be the Porsche. That being said ... the Viper is a definite blast and does have more of a "heartbeat".

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just curious, Brian.................. but if you had to part with one of the vehicles right now.........which would it be???

The Viper.
I sold it yesterday, waiting on the wire transfer. I am going to buy a new 996TT for now and when the order for the 997TT can be placed this September I will be first in line. :D
My wife loves the 997S, so as soon as she learns how to drive a stick shift it will become hers.

Send me a pm and I will give you some insight into my decision.

Tipsy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Two comments to offer, I have an 04 Viper, and an 02 911 turbo X50 (450 hp version). Since I got the Viper I rarely drive the Porsche, even had to replace the battery because it sat too much and ran down. They do almost the same thing but in a fascinatingly different manner, the above comments are right on with regard to the difference.

The second comment, is a disagreement. The Viper absolutely can be a commuter car. I drive mine exclusively and daily in the middle of Los Angeles traffic, 4500 miles in the last 3-4 months in stop an go traffic. I would not trade it. Perfect driving position, tons of no brainer torque instant speed to land any spot between cars at any time make it easy. I actually traded in a Mercedes ML55 for the Viper and never a regret.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the responses. Really appreciate it!
There's quite a few 2003's models reasonably priced from what I can see.

Are the any major differences between the 2003 and 2004 models.

Regards and thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang