Help! I can't remove my oil filter..

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help! I can\'t remove my oil filter..

Rip the tin off the filter then use an air chisel to turn what remains. This will work! Be careful to put the chisel on the filter only & not the housing it screws into !

Bo knows this one

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Socrates... check out this tool from Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00946955000

It accepts a ratchet wrench. The harder you turn it, the more the tool clamps on the oil filter (via an internal rack and pinion system). I have this tool, and I have removed some oil filters that were extremely tight. Because it accepts a ratchet wrench, it allows you to use extensions and universal joints to reach tight oil filters in hard-to-reach locations.

OP
OP
S

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Socrates... check out this tool from Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00946955000

It accepts a ratchet wrench. The harder you turn it, the more the tool clamps on the oil filter (via an internal rack and pinion system). I have this tool, and I have removed some oil filters that were extremely tight. Because it accepts a ratchet wrench, it allows you to use extensions and universal joints to reach tight oil filters in hard-to-reach locations.

This is exactly what I was looking for! I went to two different Sears stores to find it. I had one several years ago but lost it somewhere. I was actually looking for it before I started to change the oil, and then realized that I didn't have it anymore.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh YEAH! - Gotta have a Sawzall!

Sometimes this can help too...
(Like when I misplaced the key for the Kryptonite lock on my trailer - three seconds, problem solved!)
You must be registered for see images

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Before you give up try one of these:

The trick is to crush the filter, not just grip it and turn (harder on a Mobil1 because they are thick walled). Once you smash into it you will be able to grip it and turn. They make a vice grip version and you can get the jaws offset if needed. I think the regular one works on my GenI. Sold everywhere.

Funny Post, sort of.... I had a similar problem with my filter a few weeks ago. My filter wrench is sort of like the one above, but it wraps all the way around the filter. I know it works, I used it last time I changed the filter.... but it still took a half hour to find the right spot to be able to slide it over the filter. the project Viper is definitely getting a remotely located filter!

Mine looks like this:

link to wrench that has never failed :)

wanna see something fun, look at this image search on yahoo... who would have know so many filter wreches exist!:

Yahoo filter wrench image search

I can't see how the adjustable chain ones would not work.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

An oil filter is supposed to be put on just a little more then hand tight to start with. Shouldn't even need to use a wrench to put it on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang