Help! Oil Drops Under New 2002 Viper with 200 miles on it

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled my 2002 Viper out of the garage today with a total of 200 miles on it and noticed 2 places where it dripped a few drops of yellow looking oil on the floor.

It was on the driver's side in the rear of the car right beside the inside of the wheel/tire.

Can't be from the motor back there so what is leaking oil/lube on the driver's side rear?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Pete

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery acid? (This may sound funny, but if you put a tiny amount on your finger and just barely taste it, if it's acid it will be tart tasting. OK. Now spit it out. DISCLAIMER: Be careful and don't blame be if you hurt yourself, but I've taste tested to identify acid many times.)

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig A. Petersen:
Battery acid? (This may sound funny, but if you put a tiny amount on your finger and just barely taste it, if it's acid it will be tart tasting. OK. Now spit it out. DISCLAIMER: Be careful and don't blame be if you hurt yourself, but I've taste tested to identify acid many times.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dropped acid a couple times myself.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PJS,

I had some oil dripping from the driver's rear on an '01 ACR and determined that it was coming from residual oil in the framework. The tubular framework in the rear has openings, and the insides of the frame members seemed to have been coated/sprayed with oil to prevent rust. You can check this by removing the driver's side tire and sticking your finger into the square openings of the framework. If this is the source of the oil, you should also see where it is/was dripping from. Hope this helps...

-David

MightyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make sure it's motor oil and not power steering fluid... I've read a few posts about people with either a problem with a clamp on the power steering line or the cap to the power steering being loose/off.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little oil leaking is a good thing especialy if from way up front.Helps slow down the inevitable rusting out of all those expensive steel parts underneath. Bruce

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Based on the location (inside the rear wheel) and the color (yellow/amber), my guess is that your brake line is leaking. That could be brake fluid on your floor. Jack up your car, remove the rear wheel, check where the brake line comes into the brake caliper. It should be bone dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte