HELP PLEASE...GEAR ADVICE???

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
First of all, I've gone back and searched and read most of the gear debate threads and can't make a decision on what gear ratio I should go with for my setup. Additionally, I thought there might be more experienced information or opinions on this subject due to the passage of time and accumulation of knowledge. I'm running about 586 rwhp & rwtq. N/A with heads , big cam, T&Ds, headers, alum. flywheel, short shifter, UNITRAX half-shafts, etc.,etc. with the stock 3.07 and stock 18" wheels. I'm having driveability issues(I just turned 52 so it matters more now...getting old ***** but its better than being dead) at low rpms in all gears, alot of bucking in lower gears and even surging in 5th gear at about 60 mph. Other than this the car runs great, however, it hates to go slow and traffic here frequently puts me in a slow go situation. In addition, I can rarely use 5th or 6th gear even on the highway. I've read all of the threads on gears and can't come to a decision on what to do...3.33, 3.45, 3.55 or 3.73? Mopar or Unitrax? Based on my current setup what do you recommend to increase the rpm to speed ratio in the lower gears and also make 5th & 6th useable gears? My daily driver Cobra has stock 3.55s and I like them although it's a different Snake with currently slight mods yielding only about 400 rwhp & rwtq. which is almost 200 hp/tq less than the VIPER. I'm a fairly good driver and have owned many powerful cars so I'm not worried about breaking loose under hard acceleration from a standing start. Any and all input is appreciated. :D

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I had 3.73's in my car and it was way too much. First gear was unusable. I'm back to stock and love it. If you have to do something I would go with the less is better approach. It might be that your right leg is just getting a little shaky with age. :D :usa:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears are not going to fix the driveability issue. Bucking and surging are probably associated with with throttle sync or a lean condition in that sweet spot between throttle and no throttle, that happens somewhere around 20" of vacuum. It sounds like you have enought mods to need a VEC2 to straighten out the driveability issues. Then again maybe the cam is so radical you don't have any vacuum. Worry about the gears later.

OP
OP
DEVILDOG

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Jim, I had 3.73's in my car and it was way too much. First gear was unusable. I'm back to stock and love it. If you have to do something I would go with the less is better approach. It might be that your right leg is just getting a little shaky with age. :D :usa:

LOL! I think you and I are in the same club except your left leg is a little slow! So what do you think about 3.33s? ******'s next Saturday? :2tu:

OP
OP
DEVILDOG

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Gears are not going to fix the driveability issue. Bucking and surging are probably associated with with throttle sync or a lean condition in that sweet spot between throttle and no throttle, that happens somewhere around 20" of vacuum. It sounds like you have enought mods to need a VEC2 to straighten out the driveability issues. Then again maybe the cam is so radical you don't have any vacuum. Worry about the gears later.

Jack B,
Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. Not familiar with Roe's VEC2. Is it a DIY mod and tune for dummies? :confused:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With your mods, it is a must item. It is a piggyback device that adds/subtracts from the oem PCM. It takes a full night to install and it is has a slight learning curve to program. Download the install instructions from Seans's site and review them before making a decision on the install. Whether you install it or someone else does, you need it.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called to buy a set of 3:45's today and was told they are virtually impossible to find. 3.33's as well. Called a very well know sponsor of this site. For a part like this, I'm one of those "new in the box" kind of guys. Not real into buying something that's been sitting on someones garage floor for 18 months.

I'm now trying to decide if I should go with 3.55's or wait until (maybe) some supply opens up for 3.45 or 3.33. I really wanted to get this done soon to allow a little break-in time before winter.

Decisions, decisions.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I thought the Venom 600 package came with 3.55's, if not I have some experienced advise, on my supercharged GTS the 3.55's on it seem to be too high and shifting is too soon in the lower 3 gears, I just put 3.55's in my SRT10 as wella nd SAME problem. For casual driving the 3.55's seem to be a pain in the ass, for go fast driving they are much better, I would suggest some where between the stock and the 3.55's though after experiencing both.

OP
OP
DEVILDOG

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Actually only the Venom 500 package came with a gear change to 3.45s. The 550, 600 and 650R packages came with the stock 3.07s due to the higher HP & TQ. Due to the advice above, and some additional email communications with Sean Roe I am going to first get a VEC2 and a tune and see what that does for my driveability issues. I may still change the gears to get better use out of 5TH & 6TH and due to your input and from others I will go with 3.33s when they are available. :D
Thanks,
Jim

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided to wait for the 3.33's as well. Talked to Jon B. @ Partsrack as well as a few other tuners/suppliers. 3.33's are nowhere to be found right now, but, are supposedly coming. This fall???? Not sure what's so tough about making this gear but apparently its been in the works for some time. To quote a well known tuner "3.33's would be optimal for the Viper".

Worth the wait I hope. :2tu:

OP
OP
DEVILDOG

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I've decided to wait for the 3.33's as well. Talked to Jon B. @ Partsrack as well as a few other tuners/suppliers. 3.33's are nowhere to be found right now, but, are supposedly coming. This fall???? Not sure what's so tough about making this gear but apparently its been in the works for some time. To quote a well known tuner "3.33's would be optimal for the Viper".

Worth the wait I hope. :2tu:

rcdice,
I'll keep a look out for the 3.33s also and let you know when they are available unless you find out first. I agree based on all the research I've done and the latest input from others that have tried different gears that the 3.33s are the way to go even if I have to wait a while for them. Good luck, and if you get them first please post your impressions. :D