help please need advise with purchase

stevemaudsley

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 2003/2004 srt

First time viper guy but do like sports cars.

Pretty conservitive driver, liked moderate fast on highway once in a while, like 70- 80 miles for A BIT. Nothing more amybe a shot a 100 on a long straight stretch

Is this a reasonable car. I love the sound,looks,style

I need info on how it handles, viewing from seats, maintance issues,

How does it handle in the corners at 60 80 miles . How is it on the highway, city.

With no traction control, is this a big issues.

Is this a great car for someone conservative and treats the car with respect

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is great if your looking for toy,,,,,,(my opinion) remember everyone has one.
Its fast, it handles and stop fantastic, it looks great so be ready to talk about it any time you drive it. Traction control is not an issue, when the car starts to go sideways turn the opposite!!
View from the inside is not the best, the "A" pillar gets in the way for me when looking left, but then i'm short so the seats up alittle closer than someone 6'+. Speaking of that if your 6'+ i have heard that a seat lower kit is a great option. The car is hot inside unless you go with an aftermarket exhaust and delete the cross over pipe, not to bad if its 75 degress but 75+ it starts to get alittle hot. Maintance issue, the car takes 10.5 quarts moble 1 so figure about 75-80.00 every 3-5k miles and thats about it. I've had mine for 3 years and have only changed the oil, (11k miles) Tires depended on you driving habits I would say 15K miles at best for the rears and 20K for the front, so $1600-2000.
Not sure what your driving now but I came from corvettes C4/C5 and this viper reminds me more of my 1995 C4. The car is fairly loud, hot,follows the runts in the road and really needs to be driv'in, so keep you starbucks and your cell phone in your SUV, and when your ready to tear up some roads and enjoys the sound of the car and the effect it has on people thats when your ready to buy the viper....lol. Other than that its an outstanding car in every way, if I were you go and see if you could test drive a used one @ a dealer, i'm sure there not going to let you drive a new one sitting on the showroom floor but there are plenty out there for sale. 2003- 2006 nothing really changed. I bought mine without ever driving it, and i was alittle shocked at how it drove,, remember I was driving a C5 vette, but i didn't take long getting use to it.

Good luck

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh ya i just ready your line about the "respect" Even if you didn't respect it before you owned it you would quickly learn who's BOSS. It takes aliitle time getting use to it, that torque is crazy.

V

Venomiss

Steve,
One idea might be to find your nearest Viper Club to you. Click on the membership icon at the top of the forums page. Call or email a few of the the members and see if and when they have an event where you could possibly see/ride in a Viper. They also might be able to provide you with more information on puchasing and maintenance. I don't know what area you are from so this would be the best way to help you in your quest.
Make sure and check around for the special Viper you want. I recommend Woodhouse.
Good luck and happy hunting!:drive:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You buy one and you'll find your conservativness will disappear. The Viper loves to be tested to its limits, just know yours. I can't think of anything else that hasn't been said in the other replies. Good luck, if you purchase one you won't be disappointed.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve--Welcome to the forums!! Don't really know what you mean by asking if the Viper is a 'reasonable car'??? It's a DRIVERS' car....you will be WORKING to drive this car, and you will have a BLAST the whole time!! Handles like the raw BEAST that it is...jumps over the bumps in the road, but softer tires can help that a bit....same maintenance as on other cars...be vigilant in using synthetic oils (we use Royal Purple and the Viper runs cooler, as it's a HOT running car, which is another consideration for you--to remove the crossover exhaust and put in Corsa Track--the crossover is a beautiful work of art, but with straight exhaust, flow-thru cats, you run cooler and sound is AWESOME)...handles in the corners like you'd NEVER believe (ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh!!!!!), once your tires are heated up, they really grip the roads, yep, even the run-flats (which we have)...yep, NO traction control--it's ALL DRIVER CONTROL!!!! The Viper DEMANDS Respect...so you wouldn't have a problem there....hope these help you make your decision as well as the others' chiming in here, and that soon you'll be a VCA Member on these forums with your own dream Viper!!!! Our Best To You..~mike & juli~

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is great if your looking for toy,,,,,,(my opinion) remember everyone has one.
Its fast, it handles and stop fantastic, it looks great so be ready to talk about it any time you drive it. Traction control is not an issue, when the car starts to go sideways turn the opposite!!
View from the inside is not the best, the "A" pillar gets in the way for me when looking left, but then i'm short so the seats up alittle closer than someone 6'+. Speaking of that if your 6'+ i have heard that a seat lower kit is a great option. The car is hot inside unless you go with an aftermarket exhaust and delete the cross over pipe, not to bad if its 75 degress but 75+ it starts to get alittle hot. Maintance issue, the car takes 10.5 quarts moble 1 so figure about 75-80.00 every 3-5k miles and thats about it. I've had mine for 3 years and have only changed the oil, (11k miles) Tires depended on you driving habits I would say 15K miles at best for the rears and 20K for the front, so $1600-2000.
Not sure what your driving now but I came from corvettes C4/C5 and this viper reminds me more of my 1995 C4. The car is fairly loud, hot,follows the runts in the road and really needs to be driv'in, so keep you starbucks and your cell phone in your SUV, and when your ready to tear up some roads and enjoys the sound of the car and the effect it has on people thats when your ready to buy the viper....lol. Other than that its an outstanding car in every way, if I were you go and see if you could test drive a used one @ a dealer, i'm sure there not going to let you drive a new one sitting on the showroom floor but there are plenty out there for sale. 2003- 2006 nothing really changed. I bought mine without ever driving it, and i was alittle shocked at how it drove,, remember I was driving a C5 vette, but i didn't take long getting use to it.

Good luck

If you get rid of the stock run-flats, the tendency to follow road ruts goes away and the car drives much better overall. FYI.:drive:

Flash

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’ll be pleasantly surprised at what great cars they are. But you do have to respect the amount of power and torque at your hands.

Fellow neo-con

mynewviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the crossover pipe and can't belive how much cooler it really is. Also am glad to learn what oil to use as I've heard of
Royal Purple but have used Castrol for many years. Had many corvettes but never had a car with so much torque and found that it can EASILY get away from you. Good luck on your search..

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well--'mynewviper', remember that using Royal Purple is NOT recommended by Dodge, Mobil 1 synthetic is....but we use the XPR Royal Purple and have not had to add oil at all this summer, and the car was run by ACRSteve at LimeRock race track, the hardest it's ever been run...still runs cool...but it probably would not be covered under warranty--we know that. ~juli~

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just get the feeling that you are the kind of guy that really needs to at least ride in a Viper for awhile, if not drive one. When magazines say the Viper is a brute us Viper guys think they overstate their case, but honestly they are so aggressive (Gen III not so much as a Gen II) that you have to be committed to a certain degree of uncomfortableness to live with a Viper. If you are thinking of a Viper instead of say a 996TT or an SL55 for costs reasons you might be VERY dissatisfied. But if you are a Corvette guy looking to "upgrade" you might be happy.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pretty conservitive driver, liked moderate fast on highway once in a while, like 70- 80 miles for A BIT. Nothing more amybe a shot a 100 on a long straight stretch
Hmmm, you'll love 2nd gear for 'A BIT' then. 3rd will get you that shot at 100, and well beyond, but you really won't need a long straight stretch at all to get it done.:2tu:

Is this a reasonable car.

That's funny.:rolaugh: No. Exactly the opposite, which it was makes it so much fun!:headbang:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My goal was to do 150 mph. Didn't take long to find the spot on a public road. My goal is now higher, Drive a Viper, bling your brain. Buy a Viper, bling your driveway. Buy it.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you get rid of the stock run-flats, the tendency to follow road ruts goes away and the car drives much better overall. FYI.:drive:

Flash

Well its almost time for new tires but i don't think going with a softer sidewall will make the car NOT follow the ruts, i would blame it more on the width of the tire, just like if i went alittle wider in the front i think it would follow the ruts worse. MAybe i'm wrong but i went from run flat goodyear F1's on my c5 to michelin pilot sports non run flats and still chased the road but it was alittle quieter.

wartornwarhorse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had my 03 for about 7 months now, and have come to enjoy this car a great deal. Like all the guys say here, ditto. I would like to add, I have found that the Viper is closer to an actual racing car, than it is to a street vehicle. Stock, they are awesome performers, I cannot even comprehend adding more power or better handling to what this thing can already do.

The challenge that I face every day, is this... I open the door to my garage, and look at the glistening black beast, it looks back at me, and says telepathically, "are you man enough to push the red start button?" When I hit that red button, and the car fires up, it reminds me every day, I am a man, and this is what men do! Yeeeehawww!

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score

First time viper guy but do like sports cars.

Is this a reasonable car. I love the sound,looks,style

I need info on how it handles, viewing from seats, maintance issues,

How does it handle in the corners at 60 80 miles . How is it on the highway, city.

With no traction control, is this a big issues.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

I have only had mine for about 5 days, but I did drive it 900miles home so I can give SOME insight!

Handling - VERY good, even with the stiff run flat tires. The car feels planted (when the tires are warm) and grips very well. Also the ride is not bad at all considering the type of vehicle that it is. The only bad part is the tramlining from the wide section width tires. This is NOT a car that you can drive with one hand and sip a latte with the other (well not if there are any ruts or grooves in the road)

Driveability - I actually tooled around NYC on Sunday and the car was great. It was REALLY hot on Sunday too (above 96degrees). Top down / AC on no problems. Temp gauge never moved either. I thought the heat would be worse than it was.

Visibility - I'm 6'4" so I can't wait to lower my seats, I have to lean forward to see stop lights. from the rear is almost nothing (huge blindspots) and the side windows are shallow. Nonetheless you get pretty comfortable with the proportions of the car relatively quickly.

Traction Control - As a new owner this is the thing that scares me most and keeps me under control. I'm always thinking that there is no traction control / stability control, etc that I'm so used to (my last car was a 7series BMW). When the tires are hot these cars have pretty good traction. Even when you give it some gas in 1st gear the tail only kicks out about 6-10" I guess and then it steps back in. (my experience).

I honestly love the car though, feels like the Batmobile when your in it with the top up, looking over those curvaceous fenders. I'm into cars from a more technical standpoint (performance, weight, etc etc) so I forget what a rare and exotic car it is, until I take it out for a spin, or my neighbors come running up to me asking "is this YOURS???" lol As I said I have had luxury sedans all my life (even my Honda Accord at 19yrs old had leather and power seats), so this car is a TOTAL 180degree spin for me and I love it.

Damn I want to stop typing and go driving!

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just get the feeling that you are the kind of guy that really needs to at least ride in a Viper for awhile, if not drive one. When magazines say the Viper is a brute us Viper guys think they overstate their case, but honestly they are so aggressive (Gen III not so much as a Gen II) that you have to be committed to a certain degree of uncomfortableness to live with a Viper. If you are thinking of a Viper instead of say a 996TT or an SL55 for costs reasons you might be VERY dissatisfied. But if you are a Corvette guy looking to "upgrade" you might be happy.

I agree, this car is NOT a Ferrari or Gallardo or Vette, its a more hardedged vehicle, however it really is not THAT bad. I was really surprised at how easy it is to just loaf along doing 30-70pmh, shortshifting and listening to the radio like its a Civic or something. My brothers Vette really does feel like a Lexus compared to this thing (I mean really, his car has ELECTRONIC cruise, LOL)