HELP! Resetting Gen 1 alarm?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a little help here guys...
I replaced the battery in my '94 this weekend, and ran into a snafu with the factory alarm. I thought it was disabled by the previous owner, as he installed an aftermarket alarm (and never provided the original remote), but it appears that is not the case.
When I tried to start the car, the signal and "alarm set" lights started flashing; it's pretty much behaving just like the factory manual said it would. I looked through the shop manual (section 8Q), but could not find anything about resetting it. When I searched the archives, I saw some posts which imply that programming a new remote to the alarm might reset it. Is that correct? Is there any other way to reset the alarm (at home, and without a DRB)? Assuming I end up using a new remote to reset the alarm, the manual says to ground the (dark?) green wire from the remote entry receiver and press a button on the remote. Does it matter which button, as some archive posts state that both (?; the manual shows 3 buttons on the remote)?

Thanks!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first replace the battery in your key fob, then lock and unlock the door with it and you should reset the alarm. No way to reset with DRB

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, but I don't currently have a fob (I'm going to need to order one). Can I program the fob per the shop manual while the alarm is armed/set-off?
Off to go buy a fob....

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay. So it seems the only way to reset the factory alarm requires having a stock remote; the procedure to program the remote also seemed to reset it for me. I did have to disconnect the battery first to get the alarm to shut off before going through the programming procedure, but now it seems to work fine....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32