HELP! Sidesills getting sandblasted from front tires! 3M film available?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Yep, I was afraid of this from the moment I got my SRT.

My SRT was up on my lift yesterday for polishing and clay cleaning when I noticed how bad it was getting by the front tires. I thought it was salt deposit or water scale at first and tried claying the area; I could not remove anything but a little rubber residue and road tar. The sills are pocked and sandblasted. My SRT has 2,000 miles on the ODO.

Short of installing some fugly mudflaps (not an option so far unless Autoform designed,etc) the "3m" clear film would be the solution. I know the headlight shields are available; (I have them from Parts Rack/Snake Oyl) WHO SELLS THE FILM IN A FORM READY TO CUT TO SIZE?

This sandblasting is going to be a problem for anybody who drives the SRT frequently as I do. Buffing will not fix my problem as the pock marks are through the paint already leaving little blackish specks that catch your fingernail if you gently check their depth.

Sorry for the long description. Who can help with the "3M Stoneshield" film?

Thanks,

Jim Wallace :usa: :usa:

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mean "who sells it ready TO cut to size" or do you mean "who sells it ready cut TO size". In other words are you looking for it pre-cut or no?

If you just want some of the stongard, I have a roll at my office that I won't be using and I'd be happy to send you a foot or two or whatever it takes to do the front of the sills.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is --- if this front edge damage bothers you, you will also be bothered by the bottom of the sills, as rocks have a habit of bouncing off tires and the road that tires rough up, and it will happen to the bottom also. If you are handy, you can buy in bulk and put it on yourself http://www.clearbra.com/paint/scotchal.html . If not handy, you should have someone do it. I've done several cars, and it's kind of difficult. Probably cost you a couple hundred for someone else to do the front and bottom of the sills. Material is about half of that.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
get a price from Ryan Tounsley
3M /UltraShield of Phoenix
602-694-6979

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it is going to be a problem if you drive the car. I looked at mine at 1400 miles and yes, there is a number of small pock marks through the paint. I looked at my GTS and the difference is the sills curve inward on the SRT and not on the GTS. Take notice Dodge!

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Sandblasted" is a very good description. I have the exact same problem, although it happened much sooner than 2000 miles. I had only about 500 miles on my car when I first noticed it and now, 1000 miles later, the sills are totally trashed. DC really needs to come up with a solution. I'd like to repaint the sills, but there is no point to that until I figure out how to keep the sandblasting from happening right off the bat again.

I thought about the 3M film, but it seems a certainty that the film will yellow in very short order from the heat. I haven't put any film on the sills to see if, in fact, it will yellow but I can't imagine it won't.

If someone puts the film on the sills, please let the rest of us know after you drive 1000 or so miles (hopefully some of 'em track miles, so the sills get good and hot) if it yellows. If yellowing isn't a problem, then the 3M film seems like a good answer.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Ryan at Ultrashield and the new SRT 3M cutout will be available next week. I have spoken to him about doing the sills so I will keep you updated. I do think Dodge needs to be made aware of this problem and devise a fix.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3M completely covering the sills, have about 1200 miles or so, and no yellowing yet. I believe they will last at least 20,000 before problems, but the chance of me getting 20,000 is pretty small over the next few years. I have not tracked it.

But, probably like the rest of you, I wonder how long it will really last.