Help- Speedometer, Kilometers, and 355 Gears

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of gettign 355 gears for my 2005 vert. Seems liek a great way to add some torque. So dayspart so the city never let me out of first gear. Fifth gear is pretty fast. And sixth gear has never been used. Shortening the ratios should make a major improvement.

I have seen ar part on Parts Rack site about recalibrating the speedometer. Is it required? Or highly recommended. Or should I just not worry about it.

Also I live in Canada. And would like to get the odometer converted to Kilometers. Anyone have any idea how to do that?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not necessary on SRT's... speed is measured through the ABS system at the wheel, not at the transmission.

PS- To change to Kilo, you need the metric speedo and gauge cluster, perhaps an export version of the PCM and BCM, but I cannot be 100% sure of those two, as I have never tried the swap before in an SRT. I know the BCM offers a "canadian" option through the DRB-3, but its mainly for running lights, but I dont think it affects mileage output at all.

Last edited:

TrackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the 3:55, I have that on my Gen III. What I have found is that it is most useful in 2nd gear on the street just to have fun with extreme accel. and sound. It makes 1st gear almost useless as you can break the rears loose very very easily with nowhere near full throttle.

If you plan on tracking the car, I would advise against. I've now run many many track days, and I run out of 3rd gear at the wrong times (between turns 5 and 6 at Sears Pt, between turns 10 and 11 at Laguna Seca, etc) - you're about to redline in 3rd, but a bit more straight, but not enough to up shift to 4th, and then brake and downshift back to 3rd. So I end up holding the revs at 5600 - 5800 (I now know the sound well at those revs) for that bit and it costs me time for sure vs if I would have kept the 3:07 stock and was able to keep accelerating.

So ... depends on what you want to do.

Regards