Woo Hoo! Just picked up a long time desired GEN 3. Lots of dumb questions to follow

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Im finally an owner of a rebuilt :) 2005 Viper. Thought Id share XD. I still love my GEN 1, but time to change! Want windows and roof over my head, as im getting old.
As this is a "Recession Edition" rebuilt car, it has few things that I would like to address. dg "river side door handle opens the door 1/5 :/, missing "ViperSRT-10" logos on both sides... Other stuff to follow.
Although this car feels faster than my 1994, I hate the gear ratio on it. I am not competent on the subject, but my old car had 373 and I loved it. now this car has some kind of gear that is about 10% off the actual speed, but feels very long compared to my 1994 viper which had 18% difference (373 gear ratio)... if that makes any sense anyone? :) What gear should I get to get the same feel in my en3? should I use 373 again? looking for a shot gear to have fun with. also this car has a custom exhaust which I had never seen before. Pics and questions to follow...

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Woo Hoo! Just picked up a long time desired GEN 3. Lots of dumb questions to foll

Congrads on your gen 3, being a rebuild you may encounter some faults ,in my option a 355 gear is good to go with and not sure about door handle or exhaust so enjoy!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Woo Hoo! Just picked up a long time desired GEN 3. Lots of dumb questions to foll

If you only plan to go with bolt ons, and no other serious power adders, I'd do 3.73s. I had 3.55s in a bolt on 06 coupe one time, and while they were fun, I always regretted not doing 3.73s.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you mean by "10% off the actual speed"? Are saying the speedometer is off by 10%?
If so, then something is wrong from the rebuild. You do not have to put a speedo correction gear in the Gen III's to compensate for a different rear end ratio, like you did the older cars.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you only plan to go with bolt ons, and no other serious power adders, I'd do 3.73s. I had 3.55s in a bolt on 06 coupe one time, and while they were fun, I always regretted not doing 3.73s.

I agree, but if you plan on power adders, stay with stock gears

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you mean by "10% off the actual speed"? Are saying the speedometer is off by 10%?
If so, then something is wrong from the rebuild. You do not have to put a speedo correction gear in the Gen III's to compensate for a different rear end ratio, like you did the older cars.

Correct! Unless its got some weird tire size..

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Are you talking about the inside or outside door handle? The outside one is electric only, so it's probably just a flakey switch. Not sure if you can replace just the switch part or if you'd need a whole handle assembly. I'd bet you could rig up a standard switch to work, but it mainly just depends on your comfort level for something like that. The inside handle is electronic for the first half pull, but then has a cable backup for the second half in case power goes out so you're not stuck in the car. That handle should open all the time if you pull it all the way, but could be a similar electronic issue if it doesn't open at the beginning of the pull.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My drivers door latch mechanism on my 03 went flaky a year ago. Door wouldn't shut and latch, no matter what I did. I had to use a tie down to hold the door shut to get it to the dealer. The whole latch and cable mechanism failed, and neede replacement. Kinda pricey...

Gave me NO warning either.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Ah, didn't think about the latch being the possible problem either. The motor that unlatches it could be bad as well. Would be moderately easy to check once the door panel is off I'd think. Put a meter or light or something on the latch plug and see if it always works with the door handles.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3:73s all the way!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang